AUXLANG January 1999, Week 1

The "dimission de Martinet"

STAN MULAIK <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 2 Jan 1999 21:28:57 -0500

Ric Berger on November 15, 1948 received a letter from the French
Occidentalist, M. L. M. de Guesnet: "By a letter sent by airmail
the 10th of November 1948, our friend Prof. Andre' Martinet asks me
to inform our friends about the following: Information to broadcast:
Prof. Andre' Martinet resigns from IALA.  - Professor Martinet,
Director of Studies at IALA informs us that he resigned from his
office and that he refuses to assume any responsibility concerning
the form of the language which this association will publish eventually.
CONFIDENTIAL:  Mrs Morris wishes to impose her own conceptions in
contradiction with the work done and conclusions adopted." (L.M.G.)

Berger then says: "A month later M. de Guesnet transmitted the same
letter to Dr. Auerbach, leader of the Ido-movement, with this declaration:
'For us in Paris, we let IALA fall, and regret the time and money
lost.'

Consternated we considered that the departure of M. Martinet marked
the end of our hopes for a naturalistic solution, unless Dr. Gode
could make his neutralism prevail.  A fear without foundation as
the following events proved.

"But our channel of information had ceased to function with the resignation
of M. Martinet and we remained in the expectation, fearing that the
language of IALA would never be born.  The 23rd of January 1949 the
representative of IALA in Paris, Sr. Aguire, great friend of de Guesnet,
wrote to Dr. Gode, successor to M. Martinet as director of research
at IALA:

  (in French): 'Let me say to you that the evasiveness and equivocation
of IALA has cast a pall on everyone. One has no more confidence. One
has the impression that IALA will go on forever in its work in the
laboratory.  This is in a way a chronic illness which we call IALitis
which, if you don't take care can become fatal.  We will be happy
if you can regain the time lost and prove to us that IALA truly
intends to get out of the interminable game of theory to enter finally
in the way of practical realizations."

"Why!" says Berger, "everything was ready at IALA for the publication
of the language, but in the last moment, Mrs. Morris, feeling her
impending death, had converted to Catholocism without leaving the means
necessary for its publication.  The effort, for this couragious woman
with fragile health, had been too long (25 years). But her perseverence
would not have to be in vain, thanks to her final realiser, Dr. Gode."

[Berger then talks about how Gode knew how to get things done. And
unlike other founders of auxiliary languages, he knew how to disseminate
it.  But, Berger notes, that even if Gode had not taken over at the
end, the language that Martinet would have produced would not have
been more than 5% different].

[Berger then talks about the "intertia" of the Occidentalists, their
preference for what they were familiar with.  I'll pass over that
to discuss what Martinet's actual concepts of the final language
were, which are very little different from the present Interlingua,
as we shall see.]

Berger describes what the Occidentalists were claiming about the differences
between Gode and Martinet:

"...in his circular the president of the Occidental Union added (in
Occidental): "When we compare the actual forms of Interlingua with those
used once by Prof. Andre' Martinet, it evokes in us "Latino sine Flexione"
and it is not adequate for the integration of modern and scientific
technical words."

"Finding myself in 1953 in Paris, I went to visit M. de Guesnet and
asked him about 'the forms used by M. Martinet when he was at IALA.'
Then our president gave me the following text writen by M. Martinet
in the language which he hoped to see born.  Because M. Martinet has
so criticized the work of his colleague Dr. Gode this small
paper has taken a capital importance.  Recently M. Matejka (Occidentalist
polemicist) alleged that this text is 'drawn, arbitrarily selected,
from the epoch where the language was in full gestation...' etc. etc.

"I beg your pardon," Berger says, "I have selected nothing for the good
reason that no one gave me any other specimen of the Martinet language
which one forever opposes against the language of Gode.  If my
contradictors know another document from the epoch (not fabricated later!)
then they can publish it.  This would be more useful for the history of
interlinguistics than the malevolent commentaries said in an unctuous
manner."

"Here then is the only text of the Martinet Language, about which the
Occidentalists speak always without citing it, because it would contradict
their thesis:

The document given to me in January 1953 is labelled thus:

'For private information and confidential.  Reproduction is Forbidden.
Extract from a letter from Prof. Andre' Martinet to L. M. de Guesnet,
7.6.47:

"...Here are some lines typed for a book by the American linguist Zipf,
which I have translated into this which will be, I hope, the language
of IALA.  It goes without saying that a good many details could be
subject to later modification:

'  Un del functiones del parlar es converser le arangiamento spatio-
temporal del experientia in un arangiamento purmente temporal.  Le
particular problemas implicat in cel processe de conversion es, potesser,
le plu ben ilustrat per un paralel fisical... Imagination fa movitar
le granes e constante chanja le arangiamento del totalita`; imagina
un apertura in le funde del sac per quel un sol gran po passar a
un vece. Ora, proba considerar le problema de projecter granes per le
apertura in un tal ordina que per lor simple sequentia on po deducter
ce que ocurre in le sac. Le sac, con su contenetes, representa le mundo
come nos experi lo; le passar del individual granes per le apertura
representa nostre conversion del multissime arangiamentos spatial in
le purmente secuential arangiamento del tempore o del parlar.'

'If you think this text can interest our friends, you can present that
to them as an example of that which will probably be the language of
IALA, but throughout make sure that this text is not reproduced.
(This last is written in French. One must not know that things get out
from IALA)."

Taken from an article in Ric Berger's Currero Sept-Oct.1959

Stan Mulaik