CONLANG  January 1999, Week 2

CONLANG January 1999, Week 2

Re: Given Up on Roman Orthography

John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:58:04 -0500

Kristian Jensen wrote:

> I'm not very keen on representing Boreanesian on the web via a IPA
> to ASCII scheme. IMO, there are no succesful ASCII-IPA schemes. But
> perhaps I can still have a web-page with IPA fonts?

You can do one of two things.  You can use the SIL IPA fonts and
use a "<FONT face="SILDoulosIPA">...</FONT>" construction, which is
what the Lojban book does.  In that case you should provide a
link to the fonts so people can download them.

You can also use &#nnnn; references to specify Unicode IPA
characters, in which case your page will be upward compatible,
but only people with 4.x browsers can read it.

You can do both these things if you are willing to have two sets
of pages.

Let me know if you want more details.

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              [log in to unmask]