CONLANG  January 1999, Week 2

CONLANG January 1999, Week 2

Re: Conlang Web pages Top 10

Herman Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 Jan 1999 04:08:29 GMT

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 01:29:23 -0500, Jason Hooper <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I am!  I'll make it, but I don't know about hosting it.
>I can host the page on my school's server but it's only
>reliable until this June when I decide whether or not to move
>on from highschool.  So, everyone send your Conlang information,
>maybe a sample, and anything you can think of, URL's, anything,
>to me personally or via CONLANG-L - everyone gets their plug :)

I have the web space, but I'm going to be very busy for the next few
months, so I might not be able to update it very frequently.

Well, let's see... here are a few of my languages, with URL's of the ones
that I have samples of on my web site.

Olaetyan -- my first language and the most fully developed of the ones =
from
the early years, with a vocabulary of some 3,000 words. Begun sometime
around 1978 and in development until the early 1990's. Spoken by humans
inhabiting a planet of the Gamma Pavonis system, and their colonies on
other planets.

Sample:

Lin=E1n ilnye, Serna Novitan e Asyo kl=F5sebbi kazz=FAr om sel u tjanor. =
Sel=E1n
=E1dinast, klet ytri=E7l=E9 ble xyrg klir=FA. Lann pur q=F9a=E7us ut =
selut lin q=F9u
linenebbi ny klet sagasn=FD tosi ble =F9 tjanos.=20

Once upon a time, North Wind and Sun were having an argument about which
one was the stronger.  Just at that time, a person wearing a long coat =
came
by.  The two agreed that whichever one was able to make the person take =
off
his coat first was the strongest.

=46ont: http://www.io.com/~hmiller/fonts/olaen___.ttf

Niskloz -- another human language created around the same time as =
Olaetyan
but not as fully developed. It has a complex alphabet with ligatures and
vowel marks.

Sample:
Eu yos ul korg mork nen releda =E9yectra
N=E9rg krinneeak shan numui=E9 key neldelet laltimi

O say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming

Rynnan -- an Elvish language, another one of my early languages, created =
in
1984. Although I have a fairly well-defined grammar for Rynnan, the
vocabulary isn't very large, and there isn't much written in the =
language.

Sample:
Tje, an yn ser=E1tje tja shilda kini, itj=E9mtje ve'r saero nelin ard=E1i=
 o yn
tir=EDi tje.  Nelni yn kaz=E1yat nivenyii es shan kallu ethla kashlien.
Niv=E1yat surnova ry tharnien es nyrin galtien.

If you do not know what to look for, you could walk straight through an
elven city and not see it.  Elves do not build houses or any other kind =
of
buildings.  They live in places such as trees or natural caves.

Cythin -- an Elvish language related to Rynnan.  Compare the samples of =
the
two languages.

Sample:
Za di theretj zi utreth, iksyirye da aradaritj veno nelingi l=E5s eldesya=
di tjiryirye si.  Nelni di kazat relnyrim li syanes ilyaerya kasyelim.  =
An
nyvat su sorni ry arnylim li nythi galethim.

If you do not know what to look for, you could walk straight through an
elven city and not see it.  Elves do not build houses or any other kind =
of
buildings.  They live in places such as trees or natural caves.

Cispa -- representative of my second period of language-building, created
around 1990, and the most fully developed language of that period.  Cispa
is spoken by the Mizarian rat-people, and contains no rounded vowels.

Sample:
Cit yiepsa trip c'rak'ta taik.  Cista zaishra cark:  za zierkca trik'sa
kac'a cik'pa.

No one else can hear me.  I'm telling you the truth: if you open the box =
it
will give you power.

=46ont: http://www.io.com/~hmiller/cispa.ttf

Zirinka -- another language of the middle period, which has inspired some
of my more recent languages such as Jarrda.  Spoken by small furry people
called Zireen.

Sample:
Xasetai =EDnta:l=ED:t. Ux=E9: vai! K=ECz=E2: t=E2in ki: a v=ECm ky=E1: =
rei.

I'd like to be walking around watching the local wildlife. Look, over
there! That's a tree-fairy with pretty blue wings.

=46ont: http://www.io.com/~hmiller/zirinka.ttf

Shirra -- a language of the Thrinnyng, small furry people related to the
Zireen.

Sample:
I thirrinti va shenti sadhila.  Nari ten miyaki tie nashi antai na =
raitai,
kakaala nazaishira tamiyaali daka zii daka nenki.  I thirrinti va raali
haya ana de siinar mik.

Thrinnyng are creatures of the forest.  They live in small family groups =
of
a dozen or two, led by the oldest and most experienced illusionist in the
tribe.  Female thrinnyng outnumber males two to one.

Siralla -- another Thrinn language from that period.

Sample:
Ze kelli chir kashiiya yu, yil ramella tirikai.  Sharinya kashiira min
kaliina zaliin kashiiya tilla.  Ke rana ritha miiya.

You have walked up a hill, still in the forest.  The road slopes back =
down
the other side of the hill.  There is a building in the distance.

Eklektu -- a language from the period of renewed interest in language
building after I found the Conlang mailing list. Built mainly from words
borrowed from languages around the world, including a few conlangs.

Sample:
U korv kum velik braux de fud le vid o zmeya lo dorm ni solli mum, ec nax
ned vol le sakim prind o ta.  U zmeya, me herum putar, le mord o korv de
far o morli var.  Kad bol de mor, u orn me crai:  "Wa nekusi ya lo ha =
trov,
ni lo kred de mazal prayot, o ituri de ya kwazb!"

A Crow in great want of food saw a Serpent asleep in a sunny nook, and
flying down, greedily seized him.  The Serpent, turning about, bit the =
Crow
with a mortal wound.  In the agony of death, the bird exclaimed:  "O
unhappy me! who have found in that which I deemed a happy windfall the
source of my destruction."

Jaghri -- a recent language designed to have a self-segregating =
morphology
and other experimental features. The basic root words were generated
through a process that included random elements, without being totally
random. The Jaghri alphabet was a precursor to Lhoerr (the Jarrda
alphabet).

Sample:
Panngajrii yidraghia tilkoriu timbii balrii ngurpai finhzhania =
vishracitkai
darmii.  Bavnoriu wilcii ditrinishaa kagharbodhie, tethadinggithuriu
gedhringue kagharbojananhie.  Khushtie thadaridruu, jektukiu withpia,
kakhthukiu "ngurpania marwiu, tetimbiu tarmokuyee nae."

A famished fox saw some clusters of ripe black grapes hanging from a
trellised vine.  She resorted to all her tricks to get at them, but =
wearied
herself in vain, for she could not reach them.  At last she turned away,
hiding her disappointment and saying:  "The Grapes are sour, and not ripe
as I thought."

Zharranh -- a language of the Kireethin people, furry people related to =
the
Zireen but not much smaller than average humans.

Sample:
Kelit lyzhwa, haizhaz Chichtarr Drrava vin Vijarr chek vyl dhi taukava.
Shyida dhaz, zevik rrysqarr la zhytha derro lizni tvili. Zhlojak syrr
krriju na vyl sai shaj zhyskak rrysqarr dhulak derro xraziv tak taukatha.=
=20

Once upon a time, North Wind and Sun were having an argument about which
one was the stronger.  Just at that time, a person wearing a long coat =
came
by.  The two agreed that whichever one was able to make the person take =
off
his coat first was the strongest.

Jarrda -- one of the more successful languages of the recent period, an
attempt to build a large vocabulary based in part on Zireen cultural
concepts, and featuring a grammar with ergative morphology and syntax.
Written in a phonetic alphabet called Lhoerr, which is based on phonetic
features of sounds like Visible Speech or Tengwar, or in a Braille-like
alphabet of raised dots called Pintek.

Sample:
Tokyo-voa. Sher zun krinzyanra Nihon-a kha Ryutaro-Khashimoto zyan kuna
Asia-voa jo yuidghom laz neo shigh burteumayma joana. Gendiven khar =
zunmugh
ghelha zeu shigh thlekhvu rroaseolra veo poeski sum khar zhanamez.

TOKYO -- Japanese Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto today became the =
fourth
Asian leader to be toppled in less than a year by the region's financial
crisis, resigning this morning after voters inflicted a stunning defeat =
on
his ruling party Sunday.

Lhoerr font: http://www.io.com/~hmiller/lhoerr.ttf
Pintek font: http://www.io.com/~hmiller/fonts/pintek__.ttf

Hler=EBrhoi -- my current project.  Not quite a language yet, it's still =
very
sketchy, and the details keep changing frequently.

Sample:
=EB tjar dor=FCn djen=EB
the quick brown fox