CONLANG  January 1999, Week 3

CONLANG January 1999, Week 3

Re: NGL: VST Questions

Gerald Koenig <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:31:17 -0800

Word proposals: *rincon: a right-angle corner of two or three dimensions.
                *lok: "that which" or "lo que". It refers to a whole
                concept, proposition, or object.

Stephen pa tog ku vaib dinko:

>I've been reviewing the post "NGL:spatial adverbs and vectors" posted
>Thu, 24 Sep 1998 23:21:46 -0700 (PDT) by Jerry with the aim of
>settling for once and for all the feeling that the VST system is
>somehow not totally accessible to me. I find I'm understanding more of
>it that I thought I would (more must have sunk in that I thought) but
>in moving toward the goal of totally integrating VST into the Zumirtok
>dialect, i.e., being able to use VST comfortably myself and to explain
>it to someone else, I'm going to start asking some questions and
>producing some examples. First, a few questions that came to me on the
>re-read.

Hi, Stephen,
Your questions while welcome find me in the middle of a rewrite of
the system. As I am sure you know there is that stage of the creative
process that is confusing even to the creator. Recently I finished the
work on infinitives and participles, and that work was actually a
pre-requisite to a really clear exposition of the VST spatial verbs that
was prompted in part by Jack's questions on the usage of VST expressions
as inflected verbs.
But as I know you learn by plunging in, you're welcome to
start out on VST with the caveat that there will be some refocusing
and redefinition. I hope others will participate.

>1)     Why do {pas}, {ves} and {ses} change to {paz}, {vez} and {sez}
>in compounds? I find forms like {pastan} (moving on a tangent) and
>{pasrur} (revolving) to be perfectly pronounceable and understandable,
>plus they don't entail learning an irregularity. Conversely, if the
>forms {pazrur} and {paztan} are judged to sound superior, I would find
>it completely comfortable to say {paz} and {vez} in the uncompounded
>form to preserve regularity. I'm not saying I won't support the system
>with the irregularity, I just want a review of the rationalisation so
>I could, for example, explain it to someone else why things are this
>way.

I'm at that stage of confusion in the creative process where I can't
justify the inconsistency. I've been agonizing over it and will take
your comments about it into account. I appreciate your expressions,
others may feel the same way. I want to arrive at the shortest and most
pronouncable words and regular forms possible for grammar words, to
reach my personal goal of improving on English. And besides that there
are the esthetic concerns. A language should really be built by poets
and logicians, and I am neither. But in a group language we could
combine resources to get the desired results.

So if you are reading this, Julian, Jack, Mia, Carlos, The Silent
NGL Majority, would you give me a straw vote to express your esthetic
preference on on these forms? (person-centered system: wokub.)

S forms:     Z forms                     Both mean:

disil        dizil                       displaced right
dinil        dinil                       displaced left
disju        dizju                       displaced forward
dinju        dinju                       displaced backward
disko        dizko                       displaced up
dinko        dinko                       displaced down

Which is your esthetic preference, S forms or Z forms?

The d(i-s/z) comes from "Displacement vector"; which describes
something moved from point a to point b. The z is pronounced as in
azure in NGL.

>2)
>{sezil}? Since turning is a kind of acceleration, I would guess that
>{sezil} means "turn
right." That would assign the meaning, maybe, of
>"sidle right" or "make a direct, rightwards motion." I have trouble
>understanding what {ves} does at all. Does it mean the same thing as

{pas} except you
specify a speed?

> >Oopsie, should read: "That would assign the
meaning, maybe, of "sidle >right" or "make a direct, rightwards motion"
to {pazil}.  > >Stephen

These tenses are direct translations of
main vector types: displacement, path/position, velocity, and acceleration.

For simplicity, all the directions and motions are linear or fuzzy
linear along the refrence vector coordinates. The default reference frame is
the speakers body or some object it is easy to project onto, such as a
car or a cat.  Definitions:                ke
                                           =
                                           =
dis/z:                                     =
<dis>- is_located. at some (fixed) point.  @=====>
                                                ke

<pas>- is_moving at some (variable) point.

                                       @=====>
                                             zu

<vez>- is_moving with velocity v at some point.

<ses>- is_moving with acceleration a at some point.

These words are conventional NGL verb stems. Dis can have undefined or
generic tense. The rest have an implicit time value describing them,
that time value is a number that fits on the timeline. This is the usual
case, path/position vectors can use another parameter.

il,ju, ko and their inverses are adverbs of direction that are attached
to the verbs above as suffixes.  The combined words have a [Verb-Adverb]
structure.

<dis>-il  (something) is_located right of the default obserever. @ or
or
symbolizes the origin.    HE@======>SHE
                           or
za disil or iha.
za disil ih.
She is right of him.
za disil ha.
She is displaced right of origin him.
She is located right of origin, him.
She is right of he.
The subject is always the thing displaced. The object is the origin.
The case marking is optional.

She is right of him:
disilem famed
is_located right she/he-[nom] of-him.
[V/Adv]/S/D ?? This works for me for TVS but will require a grammar
patch if Jack wants it (if I understand the TVS).
disilemot works too.

she is right of him.
za disil ha.
she is right of him.

<pas>-il  (something) is_moving rightward away from the default
observer at some point.
<vez>-il (something ) is moving rightward away from the d.o. at velocity
v.
<ses>-il  (something) is moving rightward away from the d.o. at
acceleration a.

Pazil means not "turn right", but "moving to the right along the i axis".
After the turn in the wokub system there is a new frame of reference, a
rotated one. The frame of wokub reference is the one given at the time
of speaking. If you turn, the frame turns with you. Vector tense can
handle motion on curves and surfaces, but it's too complex to introduce.

Sezil means moving right and accelerating right.

Turn right would be something like: Imperative! rotate clockwise; I'll
try that later. Simply "move to your right" ie a traffic direction
would be " or(gin) vu pazil" or "ko vu pazil".  "vu pazil adbut ku
*rincon; you move to the right at the corner" would make sense.

Stephen, why don't you make some spin words for Vector tense?

pemirdo *lok je ver,  (hunting for that which has truth)

Diogenes