CONLANG  March 1999, Week 2

CONLANG March 1999, Week 2

Neo-Anglic

Tim Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 Mar 1999 12:44:54 -0500

The rough sketch of Neo-Anglic that I posted last night I think requires a
few comments.  First, almost everything about it, including the name, is
tentative; like all my conlang projects, it's in a constant state of flux.
There are several changes that I'm considering:

1.  Adding a second genitive construction, using the pronominal suffixes as
possessor agreement markers.  (In the current version, the pronominal
suffixes are used only as object agreement markers on verbs and as
unemphatic pronominal objects of prepositions.)  The idea is that this
synthetic construction would exist alongside the current analytic genitive
construction (which uses the preposition _bla(q)_ in exactly the same way as
English uses "of" in the "Norman genitive").  The analytic genitive would be
used for alienable possession and the synthetic genitive for inalienable
possession.  Thus, "the man's car" (alienable possession) would be _k=E1 bla
m=E1n_ (as in the current version), but "the man's hand" (inalienable
possession) would be _h=E1nim m=E1n_.  (I don't know how to justify this in
terms of evolution from a creole protolanguage, but I really like it.)

2.  A logical extension of #1 would be to use the pronominal suffixes on
prepositions not just as unemphatic pronominal objects (as in the current
version), but as agreement markers with definite nominal objects.  For
example, "at/to the house" would be _loqim h=E1us_ (where the current=
 version
would have _lo h=E1us_).  This, in combination with the already-existing
subject and object agreement marking on the verb, would mean that all
definite NPs would be unambiguously marked for number, thus eliminating the
need for the optional plural proclitic _al_.

3.  A feature of the verbal aspect system that I eliminated before but would
like to put back if I can figure out how to avoid some of the resulting
complexities:  subdividing the imperfective aspect into progressive and
habitual aspects, using the _-in_ suffix alone for progressive and the
circumfix _bi-...-in_ for habitual.  For example, _ig=F3in lo h=E1us_ would=
 mean
"he/she is going to the house" (right now) while _ibig=F3in lo h=E1us_ would
mean "he/she goes to the house" (regularly or frequently).  (This is taken
directly from some varieties of African-American Vernacular English, so it's
not immediately obvious how it would find its way into a language that
evolved from a creole.  But I think I can rationalize this (and some other
possible anomalies) by saying that the protolanguage was a mesolectal
variety of the creole and was strongly influenced by several non-creole
varieties of English.  The real problem is not how to justify it but how to
combine it with the tense system, which uses _bin-_ as an anterior marker
for stative and imperfective verbs.  Thus the anterior habitual, the
equivalent of English "he/she used to go to the house", should logically be
_ibinbig=F3in lo h=E1us_, which sounds weird to me.)

This whole project started as a compromise.  On the one hand, I wanted to
develop a language that would be highly synthetic, with very flexible word
order, and yet plausibly descended from English.  (This desire was inspired
partly by the discussion of Galach in the Dune Encyclopedia.)  The obvious
way to do this was to assume that left-dislocation of topic NPs and
right-dislocation of other NPs, leaving resumptive pronouns behind in the
verb complex, become mandatory, and that the verb complex becomes
increasingly synthetic as subject and object pronouns and auxiliary verbs
become fused to each other and to the verb stem as agreement markers and as
tense/mood/aspect markers, respectively.  This could result in something
that looks a lot like modern colloquial French, or like many Native American
languages.  But a straightforward projection along these lines from
contemporary standard English involves tremendous complexities and
irregularities, which I found very daunting.  So I tried to eliminate many
of these complexities and irregularities at the outset by using a
(hypothetical generic) creole rather than standard English as my starting
point.  Now I'm not so sure that this was the best way to go.  (For one
thing, I don't really know a great deal about creoles, so I'm not a good
judge of what's plausible and what's not, whereas modern standard English is
my native language.)  I'm sort of thinking that I'd like to go back to
square one and redo the whole project starting from standard English.  But
that would really be a different project, and a very difficult one.  And I
already have more conlang projects than I can handle (probably more than I
could handle even if I didn't also have to deal with the "real world").

Questions or comments are welcome, as always, whether about Neo-Anglic
itself or about these comments.

Tim Smith

The human mind is inherently fallible.  It sees patterns where there is only
random clustering, overestimates and underestimates odds depending on
emotional need, ignores obvious facts that contradict already established
conclusions.  Hopes and fears become detailed memories.  And absolutely
correct conclusions are drawn from completely inadequate evidence.
        - Alexander Jablokov, _Deepdrive_ (Avon Books, 1998, p. 269)