CONLANG  March 1999, Week 2

CONLANG March 1999, Week 2

Re: Comments on Chleweyish-JimG

Carlos Thompson <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 Mar 1999 02:54:31 -0500

First I will mark that I'm still sketching Chleweyish and many of its fea=
tures
are just taking shape.

Jim Grossmann wrote:

> JimG -- About the name of your language:    It starts with a non-Englis=
> consonant cluster.    Why not anglicize it fully, since you already hav=
e a
> purely native name?

In English that cluster could (should?) be pronouned like "chlorophyll", =
of
course we can anglicize it to "clorofill" but would lost it's roots.  Let=
 me
play with the English orthography, please... ;-)

> Fonno chleweye /'fOno 'xlju:ij@/, as known in Chleweyish will be loosel=
> based
> on the grammar of Colombian Signed Language.
>
> JimG --  I assume you're referrring to aspects of the language other th=
an
> phonology.

Of course.

> Nouns can take a plural ending -(e)n, or a singular ending -(e)c...
> uninflected
> will usually mean singular if the context does not clarify.
>
> JimG -- You'll need to tell us when to use marked singular and when to =
use
> unmarked singular.

Usually would be marked if the speaker want to make clear the singularity=
=2E  Like
when in English you say "one" instead of "a".  The exact use of the singu=
lar
market will arise with use.

> Verbs will inflect after mode.  I have not yet decide how many modes wi=
ll
> Chleweyish have.  I have yet decided for imperative (usually uninflecte=
d),
> indicative (usually adds -e), and a yet unamed mode wich implies that t=
he
> fact
> is not real (or probably not), but is not quite the subjunctive; this m=
ode
> usually ends in -el.  Infinitives end in -i.
>
> JimG -- I think you need to clarify your quasi-subjunctive mood:   does=
 it
> refer to hypotheses, dreams, imagination, conventions, which among thes=
e?

Not yet decided... I've used in the expression:
Doy a gar doyey a cemel ...
I perfect believe-indicative I-nom+you-acc perfect see-qsub
I've believed to see you.

If the indicative had been used, would mean that "I've believed, and I kn=
ow that
I see you", that it was not only a perception but also a reality.  With t=
his
quasi-subjunctive means that it was not real, just a perception.

> Connectors can function as question word, as adverbs, as conjunctions o=
r as
> prepositions.
>
> JimG -- What justifies their classification into a single category?    =
That
> is, how does your syntax allow question-words, adverbs, conjunctions, a=
nd
> prepositions to behave the same way syntactically?

Probably I will make a further distinction when I shape my language, I kn=
ow that
question marks can function like conectors (see bellow)... and some adver=
bs
would also be prepositions... I think that when the language begin to bec=
ome
shaped I could have a better base to tell the category of each word.  As =
shown
bellow a conector could be compared with a preposition also.

> Particles will alway be infront of the word they modify, they will be
> usefull
> for mark things like aspect, definitivenes, etc.
>
> JimG -- I can understand fixing the position of particles that mark
> definiteness, but why fix the position of particles that mark aspect?  =
  Why
> couldn't you move the particles around for stylistic effects?

In that case it would be an stylistic effect, but actually word order is =
as free
as the meaning is not lost.

> Basic phrase order is:
> (space and time) subject verb (adverbial and mode conectors)
>
> JimG -- This basic sentence structure raises a lot of questions.    Wha=
t is
> the 'space' category?   What specific part of speech specifies "space" =
and
> time?    If the final constituent is a "connector," what constituents d=
oes
> it connect?    A part of speech that conveys adverbial or modal meaning=

> doesn't connect things in the same sense that a preposition or conjunct=
ion
> does.    Do the parentheses identify optional elements?

Space (where the action takes place) and time (when the action takes plac=
e)
could be a phrase, a noun or an adverb...  I guess I could answer better =
with
examples (or being corrected in my terminology) when the language grow.

> -------------
> If a verb requires more than one argument, word order will be either OS=
V,
> SOV or SVO.
>
> JimG -- Two of your word orders result in diametrically opposite meanin=
gs:
> OSV & SOV.
>
> You're going to have to clarify which context resolves the possible
> ambiguity.   e.g.   When O is inanimate and A is animate.

Usually is what the verb and the knowlege of the speaker/listener dictate=
s.

Chl-  Carlos Beatr=EDz lombe
Gls-  Carlos Beatriz love-ind
Eng-  Carlos and Beatriz love eachother.

Chl-  Wambo robito drupe
Gls-  cat mouse kill-ind
Eng- The cat killed the/a mouse

Chl-  Robito wambo drupe
Gls-  mouse cat kill-ind
Eng-  The cat killed the/a mouse

Chl-  Robito drupe quo wambo
Gls-  mouse kill-ind who? cat
Eng- The mouse killed the cat.

After is suposed that cats kill mouses, the word order can be free if it =
is the
cat who killed the mouse.  Anyhow it is prefered to say: "wambo drupe quo=

robito" or "robito can wambo drupe".  ("can" means "what happend?")

> -----------------------------------
>
> Context will usually tell which one is correct, or the expression will =
be
> said in
> some other way, like SV "to what?" O or O(pasive)V "by who?" S.
>
> JimG -- Why do your examples have question words?    Also, with OSV and=
 SOV
> having potentially opposite meanings, why wouldn't the forms in which O=
 and
> S are clearly marked be the "usual" ones?

The usual one is SV (or O"se"V).  OSV and SOV can exist, and are ambiguou=
s...
any NNV can not be tell, by grammar alone if it is SSV (like Carlos-Beatr=
iz),
SOV (like cat-mouse) or OSV (like mouse-cat).

About the use of question word, is because they are question words:
 You can ask:
  Wambo drupe quo? (who killed the cat?)
 Or tell:
  Wambo drupe quo rabito. (the cat killed the mouse)
"quo" will usually be accented and intonated as a question word either it=
 acts
as a question word or as a conector.

> Pasive voice would be either marked by a particle (usually "se") or by =
> different verb.
>
> JimG -- "By a different verb":   Do you mean that passive voice will be=

> lexicalized for some verbs?    That is, will some verbs be active only,=
 with
> the corresponding passive meaning being expressed by a completely diffe=
rent
> verb?   (Nothing wrong with that;   in fact, it makes your language mor=
> exotic.)

Yes, in many cases the voice will be lexicalized... or get series of verb=
s like:

  drupi - to kill (subject is agent)
  dumpi - to be killed (subject is pacient, agent can be specified)
  dayci - to die (no agent implied)
  darki - to kill oneself (in an accident, by commiting suicide, etc.)
(many of those series are related, like the d- root in the example above,=
 and
can be predictable, but is not a regular feature)

--
                                      o_o
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3Dw=3D=3D=3Dw=3D=3D=3D=3D#######