CONLANG March 1999, Week 4

Re: An experiment.

Trace Erin Kern <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 27 Mar 1999 01:54:57 -0800

I missed something...

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 01:25:45 -0800 Trace Erin Kern <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>Here's a list of the most common species to be found on this world
>today:
>Canines: wolves, foxes, coyote, hyena and Jackal, dingo or wild dog.
>Felines: Lions, Tigers, Panthers and related big cats, Cheeta, Puma
>and related middle cats, Bobcat/Lynx and related smaller wildcats.
>Avians: Eagle, Hawk, Falcon, Raven.
>Mustlids and related: Otters, Ferrets, Skunks, Racoons.
>Rodents: Rats, Porcupine, Rabbits (Despite the predators extermination
>attempts.).
>Reptiles: Snakes, Lizards (IE Iguana, gecko and others).
>Others: Bears, Dolphins, and any other species you wish to
>contribute.
>Mythics (Species thought to be extinct or non-existant): Dragons,
>Gryphons, Saber-tooth Cats.

I am hoping to have names for both the different sub-species listed here,
plus the Genus 'Tribe'...IE the Canines, Felines, Aviane, etc...In White
Wolf, the wolves are Garou, Foxes Kitsune, Coyote are Newisha, Felines
Bastet (with sub-species Khan/Tiger, Simba/Lion, Bagheera/Panther,
Swaraa/Cheeta, Pumonca/Puma), Ravens are Corax, Lizards are Mokole. As
many of these names aren't truly origonal, but rather derived from
various sources(IE Loup-Garou and Garoul, Bubasti and Bastet, etc...) I
theoretically *could* use the origonal names used by White Wolf, but I'd
rather find/use/create something more origonal sounding.
Two possibilities that were suggested:

1. Do what White Wolf did and find some alternative roots to base the new
names from.
2. Go to this list and see if anyone wants to suggest some roots, names,
words, etc from the various conlangs.

I tried researching natlang roots and such, but couldn't find any good
inspiritaion. So I thought I'd try you folks as well.

Trace Erin Kern - [log in to unmask]
~Hah'Rooqh Tah'Khrine, Eayl Noh'Tahl~
~May you go in peace, all your journey~

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]