CONLANG  March 1999, Week 4

CONLANG March 1999, Week 4

Re: relative tense

Orjan Johansen <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:15:02 +0100

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Christophe Grandsire wrote:

> [...]
[snipalot]
>         That makes me think of a language where noun-verb agreement
> would be used only to mark definiteness ("the"). I like this idea. Do
> any of you already did it ?

Indeed, Hungarian does exactly that for its object agreement. The subject
agreement is of the usual person/number type.

Egy k=F6nyvet olvasok - I read a book
A k=F6nyvet olvasom - I read the book
Egy k=F6nyvet olvas - He/she/it reads a book
A k=F6nyvet olvassa - He/she/it reads the book (not sure about the verb=20
                    suffix.)

And then there is the stray suffix -lak/-lek:

Olvaslak - I read you :-)

Greetings,
=D8rjan.