CONLANG March 1999, Week 4

Pronunciation of Hangkerimce

Carlos Thompson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:26:10 -0500

There is not easy way of describing rules of pronunciation of
Hangkerimce, but this are, mor or less, the main rules:

Each clausule (sentence) has one primary stress and each nonstressed
root has a secundary stress.
No low tone syllabe is ever stressed.
Falling, raising and falling-raising syllabes are slightly diphthongised
this way
  raising A > /aI/, E > /EI/, U > /ow/, I > /ej/
  falling A > /a@/, E > /E@/, U > /wU/, I > /iI/
  falling-raising A > /aI/, E > /jEI/, U > /woU/, I > /jeI/
Unstressed syllabes are umlauted after the closer stressed syllabe, this
way:
  stressed A /a/: A > /a/, E > /E/, U > /o/, I > /e/
  stressed E /E/: A > /@/, E > /E/, U > /U/, I > /I/
  stressed U /u/: A > /O/, E > /0/, U > /u/, I > /y/
  stressed I /i/: A > /&/, E > /e/, U > /y/, I > /i/

Those are rough guidelines and things are a little complex when you
combined them or add consonants:
In unstressed syllabes the ending N, which is usally /N/, can nasalise
the previous vowel or become a diphthongical vocalic /n=3D/ (mainly in
falling tone), or a nasalised /j~/ or /w~/ in raising tones. In the
primary stress, the N is /N/.

More on this soon.

--
Carlos Eugenio Thompson Pinz=F3n
  ITEC-Telecom, Colombia

  http://alpha.telecom-co.net/~cthompso/

Di mi beh em je lok mi ju je kom lon vu am je