AUXLANG April 1999, Week 2

Re: What's Missing?

"Robert J. Petry" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:36:15 -0700

Robin Turner wrote:

> [reply to long posting from Bob about the image of IALs]
>
> [kut]
>
> I think he's right, up to a point.  Personally, I don't think IALs need
> to have any one image.  Bob is involved with people in international
> trade, so is in a good position to present an IAL in such a way as to
> apeal to these people.  I personally find the style of his Occidental
> marketing extremely off-putting, but that's because I'm not a
> business-person (and probably also because I'm not American).  If it
> works on the kind of business community Bob's involved with, then he's
> doing the right thing.

Robin, this is a good comment. To go further though, have you considered
this? In the world, for whatever reason, many people do not like "American
ways". Yet, for some strange reason, the world to a very great degree want to
imitate the very thing they "dislike". Why is that?

And, over the years I've heard people say so many times, "I'm not a
salesman." "I don't like those business tactics." etc. Yet, who are the ones
who usually have what the "I'm not a salesman" person doesn't have? Now, you
may not be a "business" person in your mind. [What kind of business person do
you have in mind when you say that you are not one?] But, do you realize that
if I believe that statement you have SOLD me that idea? Thus, you are a
salesman, a business person, like it or not. You have a concept, idea,
feeling, emotion, etc. to sell me and this list by making such a statement.
And, if we BUY your argument you have sold us. Thus, you are a "business"
person, and in this specific case, a salesman. And, your whole statement is a
"sales" pitch which you would like us to accept [buy]. So, what I'm saying is
this. There is nothing wrong with sales, and business tactics, because we all
do them. And, a good salesman sells his wares in a different way to a
different audience. This audience here has certain differences of interest
from other places. So, you, we, I present our product [ideas] to each
audience based on what gets a reaction from them.

Although, I'm sure someone will disagree with me on the following statement.
It may have more merit than one thinks. What is it that some don't like here
about how I present my case? Well, at least, consider it from this angle.
Many of the members here of the list want to "sell" the ideas of the IAL
product. i.e. will this work, will that work, should the vocab be small,
large, medium? How should the product be spelled? etc? On the other hand, I
am "selling" the product itself. I am selling, _buy the product_. Others are
saying _buy the concept of the product_. This requires two different business
[sales] strategies. One has to be a bit more agressive to sell the final
product than selling the concept. To buy the product requires a
_committment_. To buy the concept requires very little committment. One can
discuss the concept forever. But, the purchase of the product is a one time
event. This is what the IAL world is afraid to do. SELL THE PRODUCT. But, the
IAL field is very cozy and comfortable with "selling the concept" because no
one has to feel they will be labeled a "salesman" or a "businessman". Yet, if
the IAL concept is ever to succeed the final product will have to be sold,
not just the concept.

Microsoft's windows system is reputed to be terrible compared with the
stability etc. of Linux. Yet, which has the market? The seller, not the
concepter. However, if anyone has noticed, the Linux folks have begun a
"sales campaign". How successful it will be depends on the "sales" effort,
not the quality of the product. But, once the product is sold, then the
quality will keep it in the market place, or it will be replaced by someone
who comes along with another product and "sells" it better.

You can relate this to the IAL world at large. Up to this time only one
language in the field has really been "sold". The others are still discussing
the concept. Except, now, another one is starting to be "sold".

> Similarly, because I in contact with a lot of
> linguists and a fair few philosophers, I can perhaps present Lojban in
> such a way as to attract their attention, which may even include "logical
> conundrums" (my recent article on Lojban was _not_ an example of that,
> BTW, but the opposite -  an attempt to present Lojban to people with no
> linguistic background).  Other people on the Lojban list are computer
> programmers, and can so present Lojban in geek-speak when required.  And
> so on, and so forth.

So, if you will "sell" them, many will accept the product and use it. Or, you
can discuss the concept with them, and it will probably go no further than
some very interesting debates and conversations.

> Even the "hobby" aspect of IALs is worth promoting occasionally - there
> are a considerable number of people out there who learn languages as a
> hobby.  However, Bob does have a point when he says that IALists have
> probably concentrated too much on this group.  Where he sometimes goes
> wrong is in assuming that his aggressive, business-style promotion will
> go down equally well in all target groups.

I'm not advocating dropping the hobby aspect at all. But, the image has to be
changed from looking like total amateurs to the appearance of comitted
professionals. A success is to have a scale of all levels of people involved
from hobbyists and curiosity seekers to the real professional IAL teacher,
leader, instructor, business person, professor, translator, etc. By the way,
if you went to a video store to rent a video and you wanted a really good
evening of watching the "movies", would you rent a 20 minute poor quality
home movie of someone's children's birthday party, or the latest blockbuster
professional movie? Why? We need some "blockbuster" products in the IAL
field.

Cordialmen,
Bob, x+O~