SCUBA-L April 1999, Week 4

Coz99NEDfest. Bulletin #15

David Strike <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Apr 1999 15:53:12 +1000

CozNEDfest '99
COZUMEL 1999
(Monday, 21st June, 1999 - Sunday, 27th June, 1999)

'Cause I'm heading off to Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef in a couple of
days - and will be away for a week, (Hey! Somebody's got to do it and I
cant bring myself to delegate the onerous responsibility to anyone else!
<BWG>) - I thought it timely to put out another Bulletin for the sake of
those who are still undecided (!!!), or who need advice on where and how to
invest their excess capital at short notice! :-)

Regrettably there have been a couple of drop-outs - one of them, Rainer
Sigel, has, however, given me his proxy to buy the promised tequila! - but
the final numbers are looking excellent.

WEBSITE
All of the detailed information is contained on the CozNEDFest '99 homepage
that Joe Childs has set up (http:// www.austintele.com/nedfest), although
non-attendees and scuba-l'ers are still encouraged to send their pictures to
Joe for inclusion on the page.

EQUIPMENT
Just a reminder that it's probably worthwhile checking your diving equipment
and - if necessary - having it serviced before you leave for Cozumel.
(Imagine the ignominy of having it all fall to bits in front of other
Scuba-l'ers! Not to mention the mileage that others will get out of it when
the trip reports start to filter through!) :-)

TRIP REPORT
In my opinion somebody reliable should also be designated to write an
accurate and truthful chronicle of the week's events. (It's no good me
doing it. I never let facts stand in the way of a good story!) :-)

ACCOMMODATION
Folk booking at the last minute are also reminded about the 10% discount
that Reef Fish has negotiated with the Hotel Bahia. Please note that this
discount does not apply to those people who book their accommodation through
a travel agent but is only available when booking directly with the hotel.
(e-mail: [log in to unmask] and ask for the REEF FISH FRIENDS 10%
Discount).

(SEE http:// www.austintele.com/nedfest for NED arrival/departure dates)

PARTICIPANTS
Hopefully all of those people whose names appear on the 'YES' list are
intending to be there? If not it does mean that Andy and I are going to
have to drink more tequila than is good for us! :-)

So just to keep track of final numbers will folk please post me privately if
their circumstances change. ie from 'NO' to 'YES' and back again.

PARTY
The 'official' welcoming party will be on the evening of Monday, 21st June,
and - at this stage - take place at the Hotel Bahia. There will, I believe,
be another 'official' party on the Friday evening, with the venue yet to be
decided but probably also at the Hotel Bahia - assuming that some of us
haven't been evicted! :-)

SPONSORSHIPS/PRIZES
There are some additional prizes for the Lucky Door/Draws. (This NEDFest is
going to be worth attending for the prizes alone!)

And for those who are still wondering what the CozNEDFest is all about:-

BACKGROUND
The CozNEDfest '99, is an opportunity for Scuba-L'ers - and others - to meet
up on the island of Cozumel, Mexico during the week of Monday, 21st June,
1999 through until Sunday, 27th June, 1999 - or beyond!

Getting there; accommodation, diving packages, etc. is down to individuals
to organise for themselves and although the emphasis will naturally revolve
around diving, the destination itself has just as much appeal for non-diving
partners.

Strike

                                The "YES" 's
Lance Cordoni USA Yes
Reef Fish + SO USA Yes
Krazy Kiwi Australia Yes
Strike + SO Australia Yes
Michael Doelle Germany Yes
John Nitrox + SO USA Yes
Jeff Kell USA Yes
Andy Johnson UK Yes
Joe Childs USA Yes
Bjorn Vang Jensen + Soyong Sellers Thailand Yes
David Vickery USA Yes
Kelly Cunningham USA Almost Yes
Wrolf Courtney USA Yes
Russ Berger + daughter, Danna USA Yes
Michael & Mundy Levy Canada Yes
Ray Jones USA Yes
Lee & Jayna Bell USA Yes
Ray Cardinale USA Yes
Chuck Hopf + SO USA Yes
Giovanni Marola Italy Yes

        The "POSSIBLE" 's, "PROBABLE" 's and the "MAYBE" 's
Shep Griswold USA Possible
Christopher Sonnack + SO USA Possible
Kai Steinbeck Australia Possible
Dee Rowe USA Probable
Christian Gerzner Australia Maybe
Don Ward USA Maybe
Kent Lind USA Maybe
Daniel Crawford USA Maybe
Cosma Papouis UK Maybe
Terry May + DSO USA Maybe
Dierdre & Jason Welter USA Maybe
Wayne and Rita Mckenzie Canada Want to :-)
Julian & Helen Pool Australia Maybe
Steve Snider USA Probable
Lawrence Micallef South Africa Possible

                Non-NED's who have expressed interest:-

Wings & Ani Stocks USA Yes
Barbara and Dick Stewart USA Yes

                                SPONSORSHIP'S
Rainer Sigel (Asian Diver Magazine) 10 Bottles of Tequila

Sue Crowe (Scuba Diver Magazine) Mask Tamers

Reef Fish Four cases of soft drinks (for Penthouse Party)

Kai Steinbeck (Deep Sea Divers
Den - Cairns) Caps OR 'T'-shirts

TUSA Dive Connection (Cairns) One Full Day, Great Barrier Reef dive
trip (plus 2 tanks, lunch, pick-ups, etc.).

TAKA II Dive Adventures (Cairns) 4 day/3 night Great Barrier Reef
liveaboard trip for one to Ribbon Reefs (including "Cod Hole").
Includes all diving, accommodation, meals, etc.)

Krazy Kiwi Books on diving in Western Australia, including the,
"Whalesharks of Ningaloo Reef", and "The Marine Life of
Ningaloo Marine Park & Coral Bay."

Sea Hornet/Strike "Command Air" regulator. (The only regulator to
be designed and made in Australia & now supplied to
the Royal Australian Navy plus other regional Defence Forces.)

Ray Jones A 14kt gold hammer head shark piece made by Ray and
valued at about $300.00

Thailand Sub-Aqua
Club/Bjorn 10 TSAC safety sausages of the highest quality (we
supply to Peter Hughes), and 5 TSAC
                                                T-shirts!

Russ Berger The official "CozNEDFest '99" T-shirt and motif ogo
designed by Crusty. (Having seen the design, I can assure you
that this will be a hot collectors item.)

Reef Fish 10 reef maps of Cozumel autographed by the annotator,
Paul Padilla.

Joe Childs One 'Flashcard' per attendee, waterproof to 200 ft.

Chuck Hopf A week at Casa Ventura - Cuck's new pad on the sunny
Isle of Cozumel - "sleeps 6 in beds 8 if a couple of people
like couches."!