SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

Monospaced Font

SCUBA-L Home

SCUBA-L  April 1999, Week 4

SCUBA-L April 1999, Week 4

Coz99NEDfest DIVE SPECIAL (3): Cozumel Equalizers

"Reef Fish (Large Nassau Grouper)" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:40:19 -0400

Coz99NEDfest Mates 'n Matettes,

This is the THIRD (3) installment in my NEDfest dive shop INFO and
recommendations. Below is INFO for any interested NEDfesters who may
want to book with Darwin's Cozumel Equalizers, directly as an INDIVIDUAL
or as a small GROUP.
                           ---------------------

One of the reasons why my SPECIALS write-ups are slow in coming is that
it's much easier for me to introduce a shop if they have (a) a working
email address and (b) a web page to which I can refer.

Cozumel Equalizers is one of such that until now, did not have a
web page. NOW they finally have one up, so here's my blurb about
it, catered specially to the Coz99NEDfest Attendees.

Cozumel Equalizers is a dive shop that has received many excellent
reviews from internet divers/ng-posters. Do your own DejaNews search
to find those reviews.

I knew Darwin Zapata (owner) when he was a DM working for the Pro Dive
shop in the late 80's -- no relation to the present shop by the same
name! (In the same era when Paul Padilla was DM there too). Not
long thereafter, he has gone into business opening his own shop,
and has done very well since.

Here are a couple of jokes at Darwin's expense. I don't know if his
name Darwin was in any way related to Charles Darwin of the Origin of
the Species fame. But if I were a Hollywood agent looking for someone
to play a Neanderthal Man (Homo neanderthalensis) or a Homo Erectus, the
natural facial features of Darwin would fit the stereotypical image
without the need for any special make-up. :-) It has also been said
that Darwin is the only DM on the island who walks with his knuckles
dragging on the ground -- that image, however, does require a bit of
stretching, of one's imagination if not Darwin's arms. :-)

Over the years since he started his shop, I have dived with him and
his shop almost exclusively in the EXOTIC-dive categories, which I
consider to be the forte of his shop. I've gone out with his DM to
do a Barracuda dive when the island was supposed to be closed to
all divers to that site (that happens periodically and predictably
every time somebody is lost that took some searching to find). :-)
Also, his former manager Jorge used to use me as a filler (happy
paying customer) on exotic dives because I pass by his shop often,
and sometimes they have such good opportunities but without
sufficient bodies to make a trip.

So, here's Darwin's SPECIAL for our group, in his email to me
notifying me that his web page is UP.

>Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 06:54:44 -0500
>From: "COZUMEL EQUALIZERS (Darwin)" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Web page for Cozumel Equalizer

>< ...> , the price of Maracaibo or Punta Sur is $50 dlls. for
>the group of 1 to 5 persons, If the group is more than 5 person
>the cost is $47.50 dlls.

Those are EXCELLENT prices for those dives (Maracaibo or Punta Sur,
followed by a 2nd tank at one of the usual sites for 2nd tanks).

NOTE THIS REQUEST:

>They have to do the pre-book to make the reservation and we need
>the name list.
>
>Let me know as soon as possible.

One reason Darwin wants to know in advance is that he has only
TWO boats: Karen (capacity 8) and Libertad (capacity 4-6). Both
excellent (and fast) boats. Lebertad is less than 1 year old.

NOTE to the Attendee Early Arrivals -- you may want to try out
Darwin on a "regular" Punta Sur or Maracaibo just to get your fins
wet if you feel adventurous. :-)

See http://www.equalizers.net/dive_trips.htm

for pictures of those boats, as well as the listings of his
"special trips" which include 'barracuda (one tank' and
'barracuda/San Juan' (two tanks) besides the Maracaibo and
Punta Sur (Devil's Throat) aforementioned.

Of course he books regular trips too.

I told Darwin that I DO NOT book trips for ANYONE in our NEDfest
Attendee group (other than the Maracaibo/Islote special-special
which I had already booked with Black Shark), but will inform our
Attendees what he has to offer (which is what I am doing NOW) so
that anyone may EMAIL him, ask questions about prices of other
dives with unspecified costs -- and book DIRECTLY with his shop
without any intervention from me.

So, that's where his SPECIALS stand. Browse his web page to find
out more about the Cozumel Equalizers shop, and either pre-book
with him for the exotic dives, or consider booking with him after
the NEDfest starts.

Darwin is not only a very competent DM who leads many of the dives
at his shop (I did the Maracaibo with him a couple of times) but he
also have very competent DMs working for him regularly, OR he may
contract some independent DMs for dives like the Barracuda.

-- Bob.