Help for SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

SCUBA-L Home

SCUBA-L  April 1999, Week 4

SCUBA-L April 1999, Week 4

Re: Cousteau was first (Re: Lloyd Bridges was The Man! (was-> Re:Speaking of J. Cousteau))

John Nitrox <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:35:26 -0500

At 12:27 PM 4/23/99 -0400, Reef Fish (Large Nassau Grouper) wrote:
.   On the other hand, you can't always
>judge the world by how American's think.  It was then, as it is now, that
>some culture/religion/people would consider it rather brutal to step on
>an ant, or any living species as to deprive their natural livelihood of
>being eaten by some other creatures.
>
>John, you were the one who pointed out Cousteau's brutality.  You now
>seem to take the opposite position in his defense.

        As I recall, Ron Fuller first mentioned that the French edition went
"into details of the killing of whales and other critters to attract sharks
for photographs and filming."  In my response, I assured him that the
English edition was unexpurgated and filled with enough bloody tales to hold
an eight year olds attention, but the fish was already out of the net, and
besides, it's good for people to know the facts.

        The Jains are probably as horrified at the Cousteau of the 90s as
they were at the Cousteau of the 50s, but Cousteau's audience was the West
and he knew how to capture the public imagination..   In the 50s, I think
his American audienc was more likely to read _Argosy_  and _True_ while in
the 90s it seems to be more an _Earthforce_ and _The Gentle Sea_ crowd.
Since, as his popularity attests, Cousteau  was a master showman and
salesman, he gave us what we wanted to see and read when we wanted to see
and read it.  Still, even though he always knew where his bread was
buttered, I think that his changes were genuine and that he wasn't a
philistine.  To my mind, he was a capitalist first with an admixture of
marine biology and ecology, and I admire him all the more for it.

>>Certainly Cousteau changed,
>>but the world changed as much or more, and if Cousteau had anything to be
>>embarrassed about the world has more to be embarrassed about.
>
>Non sequitur.

Context!

        That statement followed Jean-Marc's suggestion that "Cousteau wasn't
particularly proud of those things...."  My assertion is that there is
nothing about which he should be embarrassed.  He behaved admirably in the
world of the 50s and it's a sorry thing to judge him harshly from a changed
set of mores in the 90s, particularly since most of us have gone through
similar transformations.
  Increased killing does not excuse a single killing.
>It is that kind of mentality that contributed to the Colorado shooting
>incident that is not found in any other country other than this,
>and in INCREASING frequency too.

        When I was in junior high school I took guns to school as did many
of my classmates.  After school, we'd go plinking, shooting pigeons, etc.
It never occurred to anyone to shoot people.  I don't equate killing humans
with killing fish or ocean mammals, and unless you do, I'm not clear what
you are implying here.  The silent scream of a vegetable being picked
doesn't carry any moral weight with me, but human life does.  As to
increased killing excusing a single killing, I certainly didn't mean to put
forth an argument that it does and that is not a position I hold.  If it
were up to me I'd give every first degree murder of an individual the same
rope I'd give Mao, Hitler, and Stalin, but the fishermen of the world would
go free.

>We are insensitized.  I am not a religious person (though I was at
>one time <G>), but I still think the intent of "thou shalt not kill"
>does not have a clause attached it that if it meant politically
>correct to some, then it's okay to bomb the hell out of some other
>country and kill people there, innocent or otherwise.

        I liked this paragraph so much I couldn't delete it; I hope this
isn't too much non scuba content for Nick.

>If the inferior human would free dive to the blue tuna's realm, and
>kill the tuna with his bare hands (hell, I'll even allow him the
>handicap of carrying a knife or two), while giving the blue tuna
>at least an unequal chance of biting the hell of the attacker or
>swimming away, then the carefully slice tuna may indeed be game, from
>my point of view of playing the devil's advocate against your turncoat
>argument behind Barnum Jacques.   :-)

        I don't think I'm going to like what this will do to the price of
toro.

DPTNST,

John