SCUBA-L April 1999, Week 4

Re: Fresh Feesh for the Kiwi

Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:04:30 +0800

docperry wrote:
>Oh, dear. Bob, I wasn't thinking when I begged the juxtaposition of
>feesh lips to Kiwi bill.
>
>I realize the grouper is a rather large feesh and the kiwi is a
>comparatively small bird but, in the words of Sancho Panza: "Whether
>the pitcher hits the stone or the stone hits the pitcher, it's going
>to be bad for the pitcher."
>
>I wish you luck in your mission and thanks for tendering the buss.
>Perry

Geeze Perry & da Feeesh wot ya doin ;-)  I take a dive buddy of mine from
Switzerland away to Busselton Jetty for a couple days of diving & find you
both are doing a bit of fishing .. err make that .. trolling :-)  Ive
obviously missed something here but I will backtrack through the last few
days of the scuba digests to see what skullduggery the pair of you have
been up to ;-)

But how did ya know my favourite dish was feesh 'n cheeeeps .. or as the
Aussies reckon we say "fush un chups". And my favourite fish n chip shop is
called The Groper & His Wife... except I call him "Mr Groper" to get him in
to trouble with all the ladies <VBWG>

And did you know .. for the size of the kiwibird .. it lays the biggest eggs!
The common, or brown kiwi, Apteryx australis, lays an egg approximately 10
percent of its weight, the largest of any bird. And also the Feeesh is much
to big for a quick nibble as my bill (beak) is long and slender, with
nostrils near the tip. Kiwis locate food by smell, which is unusual for
birds, but Im not fussy .. any insects, snails or berries will do. My
favourites though are earthworms. Bet ya didnt know that ;-)

Well I better this post back on track .. I took the Germans (Hans & Gisela
Rothauscher) to the airport last Thursday & they are safely back in
Hamburg. Phew! I thought the doctor would never give clearance for Hans to
get home after his heart attacks! Say, DocPerry where were ya when I really
need your services ;-)     3 days later Max Brunner flew in from
Switzerland so off for a few days of diving in Busselton before we head off
to Coral Bay & Exmouth for some whaleshark tours on the 3rd of May.

As our trip was impromptu we were lucky to get accommodation at Busselton.
For the Long weekend holidays every place was booked out. A late
cancellation saved our butts otherwise we would have had to sleep on the
beach!! Its a 3 hour drive down south in heavy traffic. All the dive boats
were booked out :-(  so we geared up in the carpark (brings back memories
of gearing up with Strike & Birdo at Shelly Beach carpark <VBWG>). We then
shuffled over to board the little train that runs most of the way along the
Busselton Jetty. The jetty is 2 kilometres long & believe me I know every
plank on it because Max & I had to walk back in full kit as we only just
caught the last train ride out at 4pm.

The next day we were better organised & got the 1st train out at 10am ..
dived for an hour & a half. Climbed back up the ladders & waited for the
train to depart at 12:30pm, just in time to refill the tanks, grab some
lunch & change film. Then back to the jetty to board the train at 2pm.
Dived another hour & a half, then climbed back up the ladders to catch the
last train back at 4:30pm.
Phew! What a great but exhausting day.

Max was in wide-angle mode as he was fascinated by the Old Wives who were
hanging in little groups around the jetty pylons. We had 5 Kingfish at
various times sneak in above us & try to pretend they were pylons. I found
I could get quite close to them for a photo when their field of vision was
blocked in my direction as they slipped behind a pylon.

It was fun searching for nudibranchs & finding these eyes peering back at
you from under the fallen pylons - cuttlefish, pufferfish & eels. Even
found the smallest bannerfish I had ever seen happily picking off bits n
pieces at a fish cleaning station full of juvenile trevally. I had never
seen a bannerfish do this before. In fact this is the first time I have
ever seen a bannerfish under the jetty. I assume the warm Leeuwin Current
from up North has carried down a few new species of fish we dont normally
see here. But its great to think that one day there may be huge schools of
them under the jetty. If only we could get the batfish to stick around ..
but thats another story as my next paragraph explains why the friendly fish
dont survive at this jetty.

The downside on diving in this spot is the amount of people fishing. Some
of them have 5 or 6 lines out & are taking fish that are so small its not
worth the cost of the bait! Now that the jetty has lights the full length
of the 2 kilometre length every man & his dog is out fishing. One kid had 3
dozen squid in his bucket & he was going to stay there until the bucket was
full :-(

On our way out for our 1st dive Max said he wanted to see a live squid, and
yes we saw a live one, but it was on the end of a fish hook. I found the
body of a stingray that had been chucked back in the water by some d**khead
who thought it was cool to chop its tail off & stab it to death. Guess what
I would have done to the bugger if I had caught him in the act .. yep over
the side to swim back to shore. Its a long way back & unless you know
exactly where the 2 ladders are situated on the far end of the jetty you
cant climb back up the pylons without a rope.

If I can find someone in the Fisheries Dept that will act upon my concerns,
instead of the usual file it away coz Im too busy atm, or I dont want to
know .. I will kick up a storm. This is too nice a place to be ruined by
indiscriminate fishing. Ok .. Ill get off me soapbox now .. coz I gotta
dash home, feed the cat, grab Max & dump him in the car coz its WAUPS
night. Weve got a slide show on Manado tonight & Strike's devilish mate
Steve (former Manager of Layang-Layang Resort) is going to meet us for
drinks before the showing.
Must dash Viv

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then
don't say it.