Re: research is display***CORRECTION

JR Gardner <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 May 1999 08:23:22 CDT

TEXT/PLAIN

Sorry, I should have added the URI for IBabble, a browser which might
meet E. Vanhoutte's needs, cf URI and brief description farther below:

http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/software.html

Also, re. the final para in Edward's letter, all should not be given up
re. TEI now that XML is coming about.  In addition, with a little
fidgeting, TEI tags can convert to XHTML 4.0 (XML-compatible HTML) tags
with the data-intelligence preserved via the global attributes of CLASS
and ID.  If the TEI-specific tags--e.g., div, corr, catDesc, &c. do not
directly translate, they can be converted to anchors with a BBEdit-type
replace function, holding their "data" and "place" until more simple
browsing is possible.  Then the HTML-only tags can convert back to pure
TEI (well-formed if you want it to be XML-compatible).  Of course, you
really need only convert it for display purposes, without ever affecting
the integrity of your original corpus.

Try using CSS for presentation purposes if IBabble doesn't work-- cf.
below.

jrg

 John Robert Gardner, Ph.D.
 Academic Technology
 The University of Iowa
 http://vedavid.org/diss/
 We are spiritual beings, having a human experience.