SCUBA-L May 1999, Week 1

Re: Chuuk,Palau,Yap

Ray Jones <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 2 May 1999 22:42:36 EDT

In a message dated 5/2/99 1:55:25 PM Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> BTW the top
>  of my list to go back to would be the San Francisco Maru which sits at 150
>  feet and beyond.
Beyond is the key word here, The steamroller in the sand is at 203 and the
mines that are in the first hold are at 187.
>  >If you had it to do again would you do a live aboard in Chuuk?
I'd stay on the Thorfinn   Read below

>  I'm not real sure of the benifits of a live aboard here ... Nitrox would
>  make a difference, but we saw the Aggressor and the Thorfin everyday and
>  they didn't move much. Mainly 'cause they didn't need to, the wrecks are
>  plentiful and clustered semi-close together in many places. So, because I
>  could be at the side of either of these boats in under 10 minutes from the
>  Blue Lagoon Hotel, (most of the time) together with deeper dives requiring
>  less frequency (there's no chamber here, except hours away in Guam) and I
>  think you'd have more fun at the Blue Lagoon. It has to be said that I
>  don't like being cut off and isolated from the locals (this place was bad
>  enough in that regard for our own safty) I like to learn and meet as many
>  as possible on these trips, so I personally would not do the live aboards
>  here. Unless they were to add some features that made deco diving more
>  available.
>                  We did meet a number of the guests that were on the
> Aggressor and the
>  Thorfin and they all raved about having great times .... so, different
>  strokes, right ?
Hello, I've had the good fortune to do both. I stayed my first trip at the
Truk Continental and the second one on the Thorfinn. After the Blue Lagoon
dropped us off we were kinda on our own which is nice also. It just depends
on what you want.  I found that if its a history you want of the wrecks and
just life on the island Capt Lance on the Thorfinn is a never ending source
of information. I learned more in a couple of night about the wrecks at Truk
from Lance than I think I coulda learned in a lifetime with Blue Lagoon. I
would make a point of sitting close to Capt Lance every morning and ask him
questions about the days dives. He had soooo many little tidbits of info that
I loved.

For instance, he told me about an elderly diver who had been on his boat a
few years before and it turned out he had been one of the pilots that bombed
one of the ships. He told of the story about the pilot making his run and the
captain of the ship ran out of the bridge and shook his fist at him. The
pilot in return waggled his wings at him after he had released the ordinance.
  The diver  committed suicide on the dive when he dove the ship.  Capt.
Lance said it took a few days to find him inside the wreck.  The locals
claimed the ghost of the Japanese ship (Shinkoku, I think) claimed him.

This is just one of the many stories.... We went into town several times and
even made the tour of the School/Japanese headquarters. One of my buddies is
a world famous Marine/Avaition painter and we research old airplanes and the
locals knew where there was an old Japanese airplane at took us to it.

We thought we would be taken way up in the mountains but it turned out it was
right in town behind someones house. It was grown over and the locals were
nice enough to cut it out of the brush so Randy could take pics of it.
(Of course we tipped them very well)

The Zero that is off of the island of Eten(I don't have my books with me for
the correct spelling) that is upside down can be seen recreated by Randy at
WWW.WILDWINGSDEALERS.COM   Click on Randall Scott.  Anyone interested in
airplanes and diving should contact me. The F4U that is on this website is
here in Pensacola and it looked just like it was painted until a couple of
years ago when a hurricane tore it in half. Folks, its in 143 feet and still
got tore up. The only thing that Randy added was the prop and he made it look
like it was in the South Pacific by the fish because he wants to sell the
painting and this was its main theater of battle.

>  >>One last note ... the reefs at Blue corner have been mauled to death.
>  >>Between bleaching and Japanese laying all over the coral there is little
>  >>left alive at the corner itself.
>  >
>  >I have always wondered about the condition of Blue Corner given what I
have
>  >read on the net.  Do you think the hooks play a role in the condition of
>  >the reef?
Well, I know what one of those wiped out spots are (read below)
>  The reef hooks, if used properly, should AVOID damageing the reef. What you
>  do is look for some rock or dead coral and hook on, pting air in your BC to
>  keep you above the reef. Between the air in your BC and the current (which
>  can rip) you float and fly way over the coral below. It's not perfect,
>  especially if care is not used when hooking up, but it works well
otherwise.
Ok everybody heres alittle embarrassing thing that happened on Blue corner
dealing with the Reef Hooks.

I had just finished my dive and had released the hook and I thought I had put
it away. I've got great air consumption so I was the only one left on the
reef.  As the current was whipping me away I was fairly close to the bottom
and all of a sudden BAM I'm face first in the coral!!!!

Looking down I was embarrassed to see that the hook had come out of my pocket
and it acted like an airplane tailhook and slammed me to the deck>>

Oh well, at least no one saw it happen but the fish we're blowing all kinds
of bubbles and couldn't contain their grins <BWG>

Take care,

Ray