Help for SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

SCUBA-L Home

SCUBA-L  May 1999, Week 1

SCUBA-L May 1999, Week 1

Re: Suunto Spyder ACW - opinions, please...

David Strike <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 May 1999 07:03:11 +1000

At 03:23 PM 6/05/99 +0400, Hanna Steplewska wrote:
>I've just received (! <VBG>) a Suunto Spyder "Advanced Computer Watch"
>as a pressie from my flatmate (what a nice guy!) Has anyone heard
>of/owned/used one of these? Opinions would be most welcome....

Hi, Hanna!  I once had a Suunto 'Spyder' in my hot sticky little hand for
all of one day!  :-)

"An elegantly crafted timepiece that functions as a normal watch for
everyday use, the Suunto 'Spyder' heralds a fresh approach to sophisticated,
dive computer technology.

Similar in size to a conventional dive watch complete with calendar clock,
alarm and stopwatch functions, the Spyder also incorporates a
state-of-the-art, multi-level dive computer.

Automatically switching to dive mode when immersed in water, the Spyder's
easy to read, digital LCD display gives a constant read-out of information
critical to the dive.

With a modified Haldanean algorithm based on Dr M Spencer's research on
silent bubbles, the Spyder reports on current depth, maximum depth, elapsed
dive time, no-decompression time, water temperature and ascent rates.  (It
will even give both a visual and audible warning if those ascent rates are
violated or if the user exceeds the planned maximum depth of the dive!).

In the event that the user inadvertently exceeds the no-decompression
limits, the Spyder displays the ascent ceiling (depth of the first stop) and
the amount of time that the diver must remain at that stop before completing
the ascent.

The Spyder also makes provision for diving at altitude and for adding
personal levels of conservatism based on, for example, fitness and age.
And, because divers have different priorities, it is unique in allowing the
user to customise the display settings to meet their particular needs.

Depth rated to 200 metres (and with a display range to 99 metres), the
Spyder's four push buttons controlling the reporting functions have
triple-gaskets and are specially designed to withstand water, pressure and
dirt.  There's even an electro-luminescent light source for use in low
visibility.

Recording the total number of dives, dive hours and the maximum depth ever
reached - and able to be downloaded to an IBM compatible PC - the Spyder
allows the user to log each dive or call up the information on request.

After the dive, the Spyder reverts to surface mode displaying surface
interval time, total dive time, maximum depth, a 'No Flying' icon and
relevant desaturation time, information on omitted decompression stops,
together with the altitude and personal conservatism settings.  And, of
course, the time!

Depending on frequency of use of the internal light and audible alarm, the
Spyder's battery life is good for recording between 300 and 400 dives before
needing to be replaced.

Superbly finished in a stylish stainless steel casing with scratch-resistant
mineral glass to protect the display, the Spyder is available with a
durable, black elastomer strap or solid stainless steel bracelet with either
polished or PVD gold link-pieces and a choice of bezel colour options;
black, gold or metal.

As attractive as it is functional - and backed up by the reputation of one
of the world's most acclaimed dive computer manufacturers - the Suunto,
Spyder is an investment in peace of mind and an indication that the owner
has taken the time to think about their diving - and their safety."

>Off to the Mussandam this evening for two days to see if we can find
>any Whale sharks - trip report on my return :-)

I look forward to hearing about it.

Strike