CONLANG  May 1999, Week 2

CONLANG May 1999, Week 2

Re: "Verimak": jumping into the translation marathon

Sally Caves <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 9 May 1999 20:29:24 -0700

--------------BF74460A63E04A68B1A16851

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> Half past twelve, and I've finished it - this was certainly the
> last translation I do this weekend!
>
> To begin with, I must admit that although the text rings a bell, I
> haven't got the faintest inkling as to the original author or his
> origin. Although I've read tiny bits of Shelley, Keats and Byron
> (especially his speeches to the Parliament), and Shakespeare isn't an
> entirely closed book to me, I'm not very well versed in English
> literature, let alone American literature. To be sure, there's no poet
> from either America on our shelves apart from Poe and Clark Ashton
> Smith. I'm completely fresh and unspoiled _vis =E0 vis_ this exercise.
>
> All the abbreviations have been used before, in the exercises posed by
> myself, Nik and Pablo, so I won't repeat them this time, in the
> interests of brevity.
>
> tau.s=FC
> NEG.again
> Not again
>
> I recognize that the _s=FC_, 'again', isn't an entirely
> adequate translation, but it'll have to do.

        That's okay.  Mine won't be either!

> Tan wiha ging tau.arat.hau s=FC
> GEN sun  heat NEG.fear.IMP again
> Don't fear the sun again
>
> ma tan nahaun'per'qiraw qiraw
> or GEN winter     anger anger
> Or the anger of the angry winter
>
>   This is a strange way of putting it - native speakers
>   of Denden don't much go in for tautology, as a rule.

            It's even more tautological than that:      "Or the winter's
angry angers."  This
      may be due to my poor glossing of
      _nifuorod_, which is the Teonaht version
      of Lat. _furor_.

> di    e.di       qinadin quelday.ju  ga
> 2sMGH poss.2sMGH office  success.CRT NOM
> The success you attain in your office
>
>   _Qinadan_ is especially a civil service job, in the Imperial
>   government, the most sought after kind. This sentence is sure
>   to grab the attention of every Charyan in the audience.

   and "office" was supposed to have been modified:  "takremait office,"
where _takremait_ is an adjective.
  You can throw out my gloss "secular."  That doesn't
  give the right meaning.  The other two words do.
  _uarfy ritimika_ is "you have accomplished, done,
  completed." Forever.  This makes the meaning of _takremait_
  much clearer.

  And the poem and its subject clearer.

> tan kaulon nahan.ju.moi ga
> GEN house  go.CRT.FUT1
> The great house you will go to
>
>   _Kaulon_ implies a large house, with servants and more than one
>   patio - the kind of place everyone wants. Most people in the city
>   have to content themselves with one or two small rooms in an _insula_=
-
>   like building.

    This is so interesting!  _hovikary_ has much less  grandiose meaning.
But I'm learning something about
  the Charyan culture.

> e.di       ram   di    ambar.ju.moi.nai
> poss.2sMGH money 1sMGH collect.CRT.FUT1.PRF
> The riches you will have collected.
>
>   It's entirely good form to be _nouveau riche_ in Charya, indeed, it
>   is attainable for most people. It's easy to come by some money, and
>   even easier to spend it, which is the right thing to do with it.
>   So the sentiment expressed in this phrase readily touches the heart o=
>   every Charyan.

    This is probably the one instance in which either you  or Irina would
find the poem culturally incompatible.
  The _rilbet_ that is taken here is a reference to one
  of our famous gospel parables.  The rest of the poem is
  free of Christian reference.

> adim.dir harul p   drai.dir,
> boy.p    gold  and girl.p
> The golden boys and girls
>
>   The Charyans are known als the Haruldandir, the Golden people, on
>   account of their skin-colour, which is a nice golden-brown-red. This
>   phrase can only mean 'Charyan children', and it seems to imply
>   a lot of them, which, as the Charyans are not very fertile,
>   but like children a lot, is a good thing.

            A lovely complexion!  The Teonaht are more      olive
complected, but with light-colored eyes
      and hair that grows whiter and whiter with
      exposure to the sun.  So children are born
      dark-haired and get increasingly blonder until
      almost platinum in old-age.

> ir  ronyeran.dir tan  yzi'tohas.dir getyun ga
> as  cleaner.p    GEN  chimney.p     take   NOM
>
> yechan dayun.ju   logh
> dust   become.CRT like
>
> will become like the dust chimney-sweeps take
>
>   So we needn't fear sun nor winter, but our riches, our high
>   office and our children will become like the dust chimney-sweeps
>   gather? But the office you hold you can bequeth to your children,
>   who can use it as a stepping stone to attain even higher office,
>   the money, when wisely invested, will aid the clan in gaining
>   prestige and security for its members, and children are the joy
>   of your old age. And if you lose everything, you just start again,
>   is what a Charyan would say.

      I like this Charyan philosophy, which is turning   this grim
observation about a common and dreaded
   aspect of life into an optimistic philosophy.

> II
>
> tan koruchan.dir mazir tau.arat.hau s=FC
> GEN lord.p       frown NEG.fear.IMP again
> Don't fear the frown of the lords again
>
> di    nele    tan nilro'kiraw ghazaw  ga
> 2sMGH beyond  GEN king'bad    cruelty NOM
> You're beyond the cruelty of bad kings;
>
> dheret p   mai     tau.luanotan.hau
> meal   and clothes NEG.care_about.IMP
> Don't care about meals and clothes
>
> tan di.di     gingtan hyet  logh
> GEN 2sMGH.DUP tree    grass like
> For you, trees and grass are the same
>
> utaima.zi p   gesen p   manushe
> hat.AUG   and book  and medicine
> Crowns, books and medicine
>
>  There exists a whole elaborate terminology as regards
>  head-gear (regal and otherwise), but that's a part I
>  haven't investigated yet, so I will try to get away
>  with 'big hat', here. _Manushe_ is medicine, literally
>  'sweet herb', because medicinal draughts are traditionally
>  heavily sugared to make them more palatable.

    Fascinating!  As I said in an earlier post,    these terms (crown, bo=
ok,
caduceus) are
    metonyms.  How would that change your
    Chaldyan interpretation?  Of course, metonyms
    and other symbols are the hardest to transfer
    from one language to another.

> d      desh yiman  qoloriar.ju.ini dilogh
> this   all  always follow.CRT.HAB  each_other
> These certainly always follow upon each other
>
> and  yechan yiman  dayun.ju.ni dayun
> and  dust   always become.CRT.HAB
> And will always become dust.

        You need the sense of compulsion that is    expressed in _hmai_.

> III
>
> muanir tan  woya'perin  tau.arat.hau s=FC
> stroke GEN  heaven.fire NEG.fear.IMP again
> Don't fear the caress of lightning again.

         Fepre, "touch," has a more menacing quality.    Tepre, "touch," =
can
be a caress.

>   Strange, these caresses, but it's what I
>   got when looking around for 'stroke'. A bit of
>   poetic license is allowed? There are a lot of stories
>   in Andal about the God of Lightning, Yignis having
>   a good time with the Goddes of Rain, Sheshal.

        Oh, I read you!  Yes, of course.  A    caress from a lightning bo=
lt
would
    be fatal... poetic license indeed!

> ma temdem   terinadar arat
> or thunder  noise     fear
> or the noise of the thunder
>
> tau  arat.hau zunga    ma tan mekinda musama.dir
> NEG  fear.IMP curse    or GEN scorn   scar.p
> Don't fear curses or the scars of scorn.
>
>   Of course, even when you're dead and gone to one of
>   the Nine hells, you're still quite susceptible to curses
>   and your children won't allow your name to be sullied,
>   so this is a bit of nonsense for Charyans.
>
> e.di       nezirir  p   musir   wonir.ju
> poss.2sMGH laughing and weeping finished.IMP
> Stop your laughing and weeping
>
> sheshedan.dir p   qaivan.dir tuoy  qaivan.dir suwonir.ju.ni
> suitors.p     and lover.p    young lover.p    give_up.CRT.HAB
> Suitors, young lovers and lovers are certainly giving in.

       You need the sense of _aibban_, which is   unnamed in the poem, bu=
is the subject of it.
   They follow "this" --

>   Charyan doesn't distinguish between lovers and
>   loved ones, not even in the sense that the first
>   are sexual and the second not - it's just not in
>   the vocabulary. So, what we have here are suitors,
>   young lovers and lovers... Also, since the next phrase
>   didn't have any separate content, I've been forced to
>   make one Denden sentence out of two Teonaht sentences.
>
> dox yechan yiman  dayun.ini
> all dust   always become.HAB
> All allways becomes dust.

Pretty good, Boudewijn!

> Now I'm getting curiouser and curiouser: who is the author
> of this little piece of verse,

  I'll tell you presently! !

> and how far of the mark was
> my shot?

   Only in those instances that I cited above, where
  you turn some of the poem into a comment about Chalyan
  secular life.  But hey, that's the name of the game.

  What would Irina do with this, I wonder? <G>  Or Nik
  or Pablo? Maybe Nik and Pablo are burnt out.  I mean,
  they were involved while I was looking on.

  Sally

--------------BF74460A63E04A68B1A16851

<HTML>
&nbsp;

<P>Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Half past twelve, and I've finished it - this was
certainly the
<BR>last translation I do this weekend!

<P>To begin with, I must admit that although the text rings a bell, I
<BR>haven't got the faintest inkling as to the original author or his
<BR>origin. Although I've read tiny bits of Shelley, Keats and Byron
<BR>(especially his speeches to the Parliament), and Shakespeare isn't
an
<BR>entirely closed book to me, I'm not very well versed in English
<BR>literature, let alone American literature. To be sure, there's no poet
<BR>from either America on our shelves apart from Poe and Clark Ashton
<BR>Smith. I'm completely fresh and unspoiled _vis &agrave; vis_ this exercise.

<P>All the abbreviations have been used before, in the exercises posed
by
<BR>myself, Nik and Pablo, so I won't repeat them this time, in the
<BR>interests of brevity.

<P>tau.s&uuml;
<BR>NEG.again
<BR>Not again

<P>I recognize that the _s&uuml;_, 'again', isn't an entirely
<BR>adequate translation, but it'll have to do.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
<TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; That's okay.&nbsp; Mine
won't be either!</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>I

<P>Tan wiha ging tau.arat.hau s&uuml;
<BR>GEN sun&nbsp; heat NEG.fear.IMP again
<BR>Don't fear the sun again

<P>ma tan nahaun'per'qiraw qiraw
<BR>or GEN winter&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; anger anger
<BR>Or the anger of the angry winter

<P>&nbsp; This is a strange way of putting it - native speakers
<BR>&nbsp; of Denden don't much go in for tautology, as a rule.</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <TT>It's
even more tautological than that:</TT><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
"Or the winter's angry angers."&nbsp; This</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; may be due to my poor glossing of</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; _nifuorod_, which is the Teonaht
version</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; of Lat. _furor_.</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>di&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e.di&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
qinadin quelday.ju&nbsp; ga
<BR>2sMGH poss.2sMGH office&nbsp; success.CRT NOM
<BR>The success you attain in your office

<P>&nbsp; _Qinadan_ is especially a civil service job, in the Imperial
<BR>&nbsp; government, the most sought after kind. This sentence is sure
<BR>&nbsp; to grab the attention of every Charyan in the audience.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp; <TT>and "office" was supposed to have been modified:</TT><TT>&nbsp;
"takremait office," where _takremait_ is an adjective.</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; You can throw out my gloss "secular."&nbsp; That doesn't</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; give the right meaning.&nbsp; The other two words do.</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; _uarfy ritimika_ is "you have accomplished, done,</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; completed." Forever.&nbsp; This makes the meaning of _takremait_</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; much clearer.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>&nbsp; And the poem and its subject clearer.</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>tan kaulon nahan.ju.moi ga
<BR>GEN house&nbsp; go.CRT.FUT1
<BR>The great house you will go to

<P>&nbsp; _Kaulon_ implies a large house, with servants and more than one
<BR>&nbsp; patio - the kind of place everyone wants. Most people in the
city
<BR>&nbsp; have to content themselves with one or two small rooms in an
_insula_-
<BR>&nbsp; like building.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <TT>This is so interesting!&nbsp; _hovikary_ has much
less</TT><TT>&nbsp; grandiose meaning.&nbsp; But I'm learning something
about</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; the Charyan culture.</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>e.di&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ram&nbsp;&nbsp; di&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
ambar.ju.moi.nai
<BR>poss.2sMGH money 1sMGH collect.CRT.FUT1.PRF
<BR>The riches you will have collected.

<P>&nbsp; It's entirely good form to be _nouveau riche_ in Charya, indeed,
it
<BR>&nbsp; is attainable for most people. It's easy to come by some money,
and
<BR>&nbsp; even easier to spend it, which is the right thing to do with
it.
<BR>&nbsp; So the sentiment expressed in this phrase readily touches the
heart of
<BR>&nbsp; every Charyan.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <TT>This is probably the one instance in which either
you</TT><TT>&nbsp; or Irina would find the poem culturally incompatible.</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; The _rilbet_ that is taken here is a reference to one</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; of our famous gospel parables.&nbsp; The rest of the poem
is</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; free of Christian reference.</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>adim.dir harul p&nbsp;&nbsp; drai.dir,
<BR>boy.p&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; gold&nbsp; and girl.p
<BR>The golden boys and girls

<P>&nbsp; The Charyans are known als the Haruldandir, the Golden people,
on
<BR>&nbsp; account of their skin-colour, which is a nice golden-brown-red.
This
<BR>&nbsp; phrase can only mean 'Charyan children', and it seems to imply
<BR>&nbsp; a lot of them, which, as the Charyans are not very fertile,
<BR>&nbsp; but like children a lot, is a good thing.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <TT>A
lovely complexion!&nbsp; The Teonaht are more</TT><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
olive complected, but with light-colored eyes</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; and hair that grows whiter and whiter
with</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; exposure to the sun.&nbsp; So children
are born</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; dark-haired and get increasingly
blonder until</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; almost platinum in old-age.</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>ir&nbsp; ronyeran.dir tan&nbsp; yzi'tohas.dir getyun ga
<BR>as&nbsp; cleaner.p&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; GEN&nbsp; chimney.p&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
take&nbsp;&nbsp; NOM

<P>yechan dayun.ju&nbsp;&nbsp; logh
<BR>dust&nbsp;&nbsp; become.CRT like

<P>will become like the dust chimney-sweeps take

<P>&nbsp; So we needn't fear sun nor winter, but our riches, our high
<BR>&nbsp; office and our children will become like the dust chimney-sweeps
<BR>&nbsp; gather? But the office you hold you can bequeth to your children,
<BR>&nbsp; who can use it as a stepping stone to attain even higher office,
<BR>&nbsp; the money, when wisely invested, will aid the clan in gaining
<BR>&nbsp; prestige and security for its members, and children are the
joy
<BR>&nbsp; of your old age. And if you lose everything, you just start
again,
<BR>&nbsp; is what a Charyan would say.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <TT>I like this Charyan philosophy, which
is turning</TT><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp; this grim observation about a common and
dreaded</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp; aspect of life into an optimistic philosophy.</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>II

<P>tan koruchan.dir mazir tau.arat.hau s&uuml;
<BR>GEN lord.p&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; frown NEG.fear.IMP again
<BR>Don't fear the frown of the lords again

<P>di&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; nele&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; tan nilro'kiraw ghazaw&nbsp;
ga
<BR>2sMGH beyond&nbsp; GEN king'bad&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; cruelty NOM
<BR>You're beyond the cruelty of bad kings;

<P>dheret p&nbsp;&nbsp; mai&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; tau.luanotan.hau
<BR>meal&nbsp;&nbsp; and clothes NEG.care_about.IMP
<BR>Don't care about meals and clothes

<P>tan di.di&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; gingtan hyet&nbsp; logh
<BR>GEN 2sMGH.DUP tree&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; grass like
<BR>For you, trees and grass are the same

<P>utaima.zi p&nbsp;&nbsp; gesen p&nbsp;&nbsp; manushe
<BR>hat.AUG&nbsp;&nbsp; and book&nbsp; and medicine
<BR>Crowns, books and medicine

<P>&nbsp;There exists a whole elaborate terminology as regards
<BR>&nbsp;head-gear (regal and otherwise), but that's a part I
<BR>&nbsp;haven't investigated yet, so I will try to get away
<BR>&nbsp;with 'big hat', here. _Manushe_ is medicine, literally
<BR>&nbsp;'sweet herb', because medicinal draughts are traditionally
<BR>&nbsp;heavily sugared to make them more palatable.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
<TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Fascinating!&nbsp; As I said in an earlier post,</TT><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
these terms (crown, book, caduceus) are</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; metonyms.&nbsp; How would that change your</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Chaldyan interpretation?&nbsp; Of course, metonyms</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; and other symbols are the hardest to transfer</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; from one language to another.</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>d&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; desh yiman&nbsp;
qoloriar.ju.ini dilogh
<BR>this&nbsp;&nbsp; all&nbsp; always follow.CRT.HAB&nbsp; each_other
<BR>These certainly always follow upon each other

<P>and&nbsp; yechan yiman&nbsp; dayun.ju.ni dayun
<BR>and&nbsp; dust&nbsp;&nbsp; always become.CRT.HAB
<BR>And will always become dust.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <TT>You need the sense of compulsion
that is</TT><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; expressed in _hmai_.</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>III

<P>muanir tan&nbsp; woya'perin&nbsp; tau.arat.hau s&uuml;
<BR>stroke GEN&nbsp; heaven.fire NEG.fear.IMP again
<BR>Don't fear the caress of lightning again.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <TT>Fepre, "touch," has
a more menacing quality.</TT><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Tepre, "touch," can
be a caress.</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp; Strange, these caresses, but it's what I
<BR>&nbsp; got when looking around for 'stroke'. A bit of
<BR>&nbsp; poetic license is allowed? There are a lot of stories
<BR>&nbsp; in Andal about the God of Lightning, Yignis having
<BR>&nbsp; a good time with the Goddes of Rain, Sheshal.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <TT>Oh, I read you!&nbsp; Yes,
of course.&nbsp; A</TT><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; caress from a lightning bolt
would</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; be fatal... poetic license indeed!</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>ma temdem&nbsp;&nbsp; terinadar arat
<BR>or thunder&nbsp; noise&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; fear
<BR>or the noise of the thunder

<P>tau&nbsp; arat.hau zunga&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ma tan mekinda musama.dir
<BR>NEG&nbsp; fear.IMP curse&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; or GEN scorn&nbsp;&nbsp;
scar.p
<BR>Don't fear curses or the scars of scorn.

<P>&nbsp; Of course, even when you're dead and gone to one of
<BR>&nbsp; the Nine hells, you're still quite susceptible to curses
<BR>&nbsp; and your children won't allow your name to be sullied,
<BR>&nbsp; so this is a bit of nonsense for Charyans.

<P>e.di&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; nezirir&nbsp; p&nbsp;&nbsp;
musir&nbsp;&nbsp; wonir.ju
<BR>poss.2sMGH laughing and weeping finished.IMP
<BR>Stop your laughing and weeping

<P>sheshedan.dir p&nbsp;&nbsp; qaivan.dir tuoy&nbsp; qaivan.dir suwonir.ju.ni
<BR>suitors.p&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; and lover.p&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; young
lover.p&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; give_up.CRT.HAB
<BR>Suitors, young lovers and lovers are certainly giving in.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <TT>You need the sense of _aibban_,
which is</TT><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp; unnamed in the poem, but is the subject of
it.</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp; They follow "this" --</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>&nbsp; Charyan doesn't distinguish between lovers and
<BR>&nbsp; loved ones, not even in the sense that the first
<BR>&nbsp; are sexual and the second not - it's just not in
<BR>&nbsp; the vocabulary. So, what we have here are suitors,
<BR>&nbsp; young lovers and lovers... Also, since the next phrase
<BR>&nbsp; didn't have any separate content, I've been forced to
<BR>&nbsp; make one Denden sentence out of two Teonaht sentences.

<P>dox yechan yiman&nbsp; dayun.ini
<BR>all dust&nbsp;&nbsp; always become.HAB
<BR>All allways becomes dust.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
<TT>Pretty good, Boudewijn!</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>Now I'm getting curiouser and curiouser: who is the author
<BR>of this little piece of verse,</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp; <TT>I'll tell you presently! !</TT>&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>and how far of the mark was
<BR>my shot?
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;<TT>&nbsp; Only in those instances that I cited above, where</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; you turn some of the poem into a comment about Chalyan</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; secular life.&nbsp; But hey, that's the name of the game.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>&nbsp; What would Irina do with this, I wonder? &lt;G>&nbsp; Or
Nik</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; or Pablo? Maybe Nik and Pablo are burnt out.&nbsp; I mean,</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; they were involved while I was looking on.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>&nbsp; Sally</TT>
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------BF74460A63E04A68B1A16851--