Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  May 1999, Week 3

AUXLANG May 1999, Week 3

Re: Quel es do li spi'ritu de Occidental!

"Robert J. Petry" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 16 May 1999 11:55:34 -0700

Ken Caviness wrote:

> [kut]
>
> It's just hype, isn't it, Bob?  I ask you for a definition of your term,
> and you hand out more hype.  I explain that Occidental appears to me to
> have exactly the advantages and disadvantages of other naturalistic
> planlingvoj, but ask you to show me how it differs, and you "have BIG
> doubts" that I really want you to answer the question.  Well, to my
> satisfaction it has been demonstrated that (1) Occ is a good naturalistic
> planned language, no more, no less, and (2) your statements to the contrary
> are semantically empty.  I have _no_ more doubts about either of these points.

First, it is not hype at all. As to your 1 and 2 points, they are "semantically"
empty, and without any proof of any kind, and are only personal preferences.

> Moral:  Those who prefer naturalistic planned languages should take a
> serious look at Occidental, unless they also prefer an active user-base, in
> which case Interlingua might be a better buy.  Those who (ekzemple mi)
> think there's something beyond naturalism might look farther afield.

YOU are part of the multiple millions of the Occidental base, like it or not,
since you've already admitted the first part, you can read it. Thus, I can
communicate with you In Occidental along with multiple millions of others
including the totally false number of 2,000,000 Esperantists. That, you cannot do
with Esperanto no matter how hard you try. So, in actual fact, I have a base to
communicate with that you can't even get close to with your silly "numbers of
adherents" remarks. They do not stand the actual test. And, Oh, even
Interlinguanos can also understand Occidental, and they cannot understand your
LIMITED language Esperanto without having to study it, and waste their time to
only be able to communitate with a few "maybe" hundred thousand people. And, they
don't have to go looking for Occidentalists to use it, like they have to go
looking for Esperantists like you do when you want to use Esperanto. There is a
BIG difference Ken, and it's about time you let your limited Esperanto thinking
expand to what is real. All your arguments to the contrary about the totally
fallacious argument, "Yeah, Bob, but Occidental is only passive." My answer to
that, and to multiple examples to the contrary is, you are just throwing out a
useless "strawdog" to support your continued NON-use of Esperanto for anything
other than reading an Esperanto paper, or talking with an occassional Esperantist
which you have to find to use your Esperanto. Drop the false argument and try to
use Occidental for a change and get some experience for yourself showing how silly
that hot air argument is. It has never stood up under actual usage.

> >> Esperanto is more logical and exception-free, fewer rules and
> >> exceptions (sub-rules), etc.  (No, I'm not talking about any 16 rules.
> >> Just tell us how to conjugate all verbs, for instance.  It's simpler in
> >> Esperanto.  Tell us how to change verbs to nouns.  It's simpler in
> >> Esperanto.  Et cetera.)

Oh ve', what a farce this statement is. Maybe you should take up sr. de Wahl's
challenge.
And, the last post I gave on the word formation of Esperanto is just one of the
complications of Esperanto. Esperanto is actually far from the simple creature you
have been deluded into believeing, and this has been shown over and over again,
even by long time Esperantists who are not and have never been Occidentals. Some
of even 25 years experience with Esp. before they were finally able to admit it.
Maybe you should start reading some of the Esperanto publications yourself about
this topic, or have them forbidden these kinds of comments in the "modern"
publications? If, also, Esperanto is so useful, then go out on the street and use
it everyday with the strangers you meet. Common Ken, try a real life test, not an
academic, behind closed walls farce. Get out there and use your "easy and simple
language full of utility" with the folks on the street. And, deliberately avoid
finding Esperantists, and talk with people using Esperanto. Face the facts Ken.
Get out there and test your theory. Take it off paper, and DO IT. It's easy to
argue with me, because 99.99% of this list agrees with you, and none of you have,
to my knowledge, actually gone out on the street with your "favorite" language and
tried to use it with folks you know haven't studied your language. I have, and I
do constantly.
And, as one fellow wrote who had been an Espists. He said, [in my summation] after
using Esperanto, and Ido, I finally gave in and tried Occidental. It was the ONLY
language I could use to communicate with the general public. With the other's I
couldn't do this. Open the eyes Ken.
And, I tell everybody here about it, and how successful it is, and the response is
always, common Bob, give us a break, this can't be true, I can't read Occ. so
those people can't. Such a weak argument.
Please, take your Esperanto to the street and come back and tell us how successful
it was. Tell us about the "excited" responses of people who find out they can
understand it. Or, will you get the common remark which you are afraid you'll get,
and have to bring back and report. "Oh, what's that, Esperanto, I thought that was
long dead?" The ONLY thing you and other Esperantists can come back and tell us
is, I talked with 2,000,000 Esperantists. And, here's the part you always FAIL to
add. But, nobody else could understand a thing I wrote or said.!!!!! Open your
eyes Ken.>

> [kut]
>
> WHAT?!
>
> (I quote your entire paragraph above in hopes that even you will see that
> it has nothing _what_so_ever_ to do with what I wrote.)
>
> Please stop talking nonsense, Bob.  Kindly reread my statement:  I'm not
> putting anything off, I'm making a comparison _now_.

I was referring to your whole statement and concept, when you talked about me
doing the testing and having so much time available because of "full time with RLR
and Occ." And, including the post you made. Everybody wants to design a test. I
was saying, forget that stuff, and take a text and go out and put it in front of
the public. Let them see and hear what they would normally run up against in real
life, not an academic test for academics.

> No, don't bother
> rereading, I'll say it again, more clearly:  Esperanto is more logical and
> exception-free (than Occidental), it has fewer rules and exceptions (or
> call the exceptions "subrules" if you prefer).  And I'm not claiming that
> one needs only 16 rules to explain Esperanto.  Whatever the number is, it
> _is_ less than for Occidental.  EdW had to add grammatical complexity in
> order to attain the degree of "naturalness" he desired.  Well and good!
> That's his design criteria showing.  Fine!  But it has its price, of
> course:  Complexity.

This is hogwash Ken. It is not as simple as you have been deceived into believing.
There are an unbelievable number of exceptions in Esperanto. Your uninformed
statement about the "grammatical complexity" in order to attain naturalness is
absolutely an off the wall absurdity. This is one of those Esperantist fairy tales
you have swallowed hook line and sinker which has been disproved over and over and
over again. Esperanto is complicated more than you can see at the moment.

How do you explain to someone who is learning Esp. that out of the 16 words formed
using Esperanto rules, only 6 are correct? And, that is just and example I gave
using only one Esperanto word. There are thousands of others like that. Is that
simple? One thing this proves is that one must constantly have an Esperanto
dictionary handy if they want to use words accurately. And, of course, you will
come back, Bob, that is just one abberation, that's all, there are no more
problems like that in Esperanto. Well, it's amazing how many of these have been
shown and written about by Esperantists themselves.

> How can we know that Esperanto (and other planlingvoj, too) has a simpler,
> easier grammar than Occ?  Well, I mentioned a few points where E-o is more
> simple and logical than Occ.  To be sure, we'd have to go down the entire
> list and add 'em up, but a few randomly chosen items may indicate which way
> the wind lies.  Thus I ask again, take a look at (for instance) how to
> conjugate all verbs in Occidental.  Express it as simply and concisely as
> possible, while still covering all cases, all exceptions.  You see, it's
> simpler in Esperanto, right?

Nope! It isn't.

> Try another data point, tell us how to change
> verbs to nouns in Occidental.  Ah, there too, it's simpler in Esperanto.
> Kaj tiel plu.  (Et cetera.)  THAT is what I'm getting at.  There is no
> possible way to (justifiably) claim that Occidental is easier than
> Esperanto in this area.  And there are many other planlingvoj, some simpler
> in some areas, some in others.  I hope I made myself clear this time.
>
> You've never given any support (except vocabulary for Westerners) to your
> statements that Occidental is easier than Esperanto.

Interesting subject, and I'd love to get into that also. Including the responses
of Japanese Esperantists in regard to Esperanto. And, besides, to my knowledge
there are no Orientals on this list so I have answered to the make up of this
lilst as I understand it. By the way, you're still not writing in Esperanto
without translation to the list to make your points.

> And I've pointed out
> some of the areas where I think the reverse is actually the case: where
> Esperanto is simpler and better than Occidental.  You've also never given
> any support to your statements that Occidental is easier than or in any way
> superior to Interlingua.  And I've spelled out why I think that although
> they're quite similar, Interlingua is better in having clearer, more
> unambiguous word-selection rules.  A long time ago I asked you if Occ had
> any system of word selection, and you told me to wait.

And, you're still going to have to wait. I am not going to waste time on some
things here for people that are only antagonists to Occidental. IF you are really
honest about such needs, then join the lists that discuss these things in depth.
As I wrote to all on the original 'lingue' list, that list was being dropped, and
turned into the 'occidental' list, and that interested folks should rejoin. I
notice, with very few exceptions, that virtually NONE of the folks on this list
have even attempted to join Occidental lists. Why? It would appear because they
would rather argue against Occidental that learn Occidental, use it, and find out
if their arguments against have any real life value or not. Thus, I respond here
with that in mind. Folks here aren't interested in learning it, just putting it
down, for if they actually took some time to learn it, the whole facade would
crumble and they would have to admit it actually does work in the real world. And,
why give information here that half the time isn't even read, or paid attention
to? So, I give what I think from the responses I get, just enough to satisfy some
very basic curiosity, and that seems to suit the needs and desires of this list.
It's one thing to debate on a debate list about auxlangs, it is another to teach
on auxlang what should be taught on a specific list for that kind of information.

> Well, it is now
> clear that that we'll be waiting until the cows come home -- it doesn't
> have any such system, the words were selected by the author's gut feel for
> internationality of words.  Not a bad system, but let's at least be honest
> and admit that that _is_ the system, ok?

What a bunch of reachings, Ken. You are not going to con me into giving
information here that won't even be used, and is of no interest to the 43 folks
here. I don't mind debating you, or anyone for that matter, but I'm NOT going to
teach you what you aren't willing to use. When you, and folks here start using
Occidental, or trying, and are honestly serious about learning it, then you can
have all the information you want. And, if that ever becomes the case, then, those
honestly wanting to learn it will join the appropriate lists. The occidental list,
the auli list, and the aulipro list, for professionals who want to learn how to
use it in the international market place, scientific circles, etc. However, I
don't see that happening with the folks on this list. We are on this list to
discuss various languages like Esp, Novial, Ido, etc. and their usage in an
international context.

> >And, your Esperanto like typical remarks, are, like you said about my
> remarks in
> >the part below I kut, are boooorrrrining.
>
> [kut]
>
> What's _boring_ is not the information you post about Occidental, what's
> _boring_ is having to dig through vast quantities of "hints" to find out
> what you're actually saying!  And you must have noticed that you routinely
> "kut", not the boring parts of my posts, but the parts you can't answer.

I kut many of those because I am NOT going to be conned into teaching Occidental
on this list. Many of your questions in my mind require me to answer with
information I am not going to post here. If you want that kind of information, and
you are sincere about it, and actually want to use it, then you know where to go.
If you just want the information to try and find another argument for here, then
don't join the lists that teach Occidental. It has absolutely nothing to do with
not being able to answer. It is I won't teach Occidental on this list. I can just
see the responses of some folks here if I start doing that.

> As far as information (in constrast to Pure Unadulterated HYPE) about Occ,
> please carry on!  Occidental is definitely on my list of planlingvoj which
> interest me, in spite of your P.U.H. posts.

If that's true, why aren't you trying to use it? The PUH is Esperanto, and it has
been proven over and over again by the Esperantists themselves. One of their hypes
is 2,000,000 which they have used since the early 1900's if not before. It was so
fixed in their psyche they even wrote that Occidental had 2,000,000 adherents,
which they never had. By the way, having adherents versus being able to use and
understand it are two different things, so don't try to say I just said millions
of people can't read, understand, use it becasue I said Occidental never had
2,000,000 adherents.
It's strange in using this hype of Esperanto, that in the WorldAlmanac of 1991,
1992, 1993, they wrote there were 2,000,000 Espists. And, today, 1999 the same
number is used. So, talk about Pure Unadulterated HYPE, sounds like the kettle
calling the pot black.

Thanks for the post Ken,
Cordialmen,
Bob, X+O~