Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  May 1999, Week 3

AUXLANG May 1999, Week 3

Re: Quel es do li spi'ritu de Occidental!

Ken Caviness <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 16 May 1999 19:11:58 -0400

Je 11:55 AM 5/16/99 -0700, Robert J. Petry skribis:

>Ken Caviness wrote:
>
>> It's just hype, isn't it, Bob?  I ask you for a definition of your term,
>> and you hand out more hype.  I explain that Occidental appears to me to
>> have exactly the advantages and disadvantages of other naturalistic
>> planlingvoj, but ask you to show me how it differs, and you "have BIG
>> doubts" that I really want you to answer the question.  Well, to my
>> satisfaction it has been demonstrated that (1) Occ is a good naturalistic
>> planned language, no more, no less, and (2) your statements to the=
 contrary
>> are semantically empty.  I have _no_ more doubts about either of these
points.

>First, it is not hype at all. As to your 1 and 2 points, they are
"semantically"
>empty, and without any proof of any kind, and are only personal=
 preferences.

Does this mean that you _don't_ think that Occ is a good naturalistic
planned language? =20
;-)  And no, the statements (1) & (2) above are not semantically empty,
they have a clear meaning -- possibly you disagree with them, but whatever
their truth value, the meaning is clear to the reader.  IMHO.  Compare this
with the content-free defining of Occidental to be the only "INTER
national" language and defining "INTER national" to be kinda sorta like ...
Occidental! =20

>Oh ve', what a farce this statement is. Maybe you should take up sr. de
Wahl's
>challenge.

Please remind me what it is.

>And, the last post I gave on the word formation of Esperanto is just one
of the
>complications of Esperanto.=20

Regarding that last post, on the "complications" of Esperanto, I'm still
hoping that someone with more expertise in Esperanto will comment on that.
But if not, I'll come back to it and give it my humble best shot.  But as a
"hint" (which you love, ^cu ne, Bob?) there are many _right_ ways to create
words in Esperanto.  If you weren't already deceived by a steady diet of
anti-Esperantist propaganda from K/Cosmo you would know that it's perfectly
acceptable in Esperanto to combine roots/affixes in new ways, perhaps in
ways never done before.  So this business of only some of the combinations
being "corect" is _not_ "corect".  It is fair to say that some of these
words are used more often than others, but if you put together a word and I
understand it, we've communicated!  So if you've not yet run across the
word "estingi" (extinguish), and you decide to put together "ek-mal-bruli"
(begin to - opposite of - burn), fine!  Kudos to you for your ingenuity!
The dreaded Vortfarada Polico de Esperanto will _not_ jail you for that.
That power is your _right_ as a beginning Esperantist!

Iu-kaze, your post "Li extrem de simplicita'?" (as usual) doesn't list an
author.  But it sounds like someone who should know better, but is hoping
that his audience either won't understand enough Occidental or enough
Esperanto to realize the fallacies of his argument.  Or if he's lucky, any
readers actually familiar with Esperanto will already be strong
Occ-adherants, so they won't call him on his little game.  Unfortunately
it's all too common for adherants of one planlingvo to misrepresent
another.  I think of the Interlingua-ist Gopsill's comments on Esperanto,
and the Esperantist Dalton's comments on Interlingua.  (And now I wish I
hadn't thought of either!)

>> You've never given any support (except vocabulary for Westerners) to your
>> statements that Occidental is easier than Esperanto.
>
>Interesting subject, and I'd love to get into that also. Including the
>of Japanese Esperantists in regard to Esperanto. And, besides, to my
knowledge
>there are no Orientals on this list so I have answered to the make up of=
 this
>lilst as I understand it.=20

Too bad for us here.  But there are Japanese, Chinese, Korean Esperantists
on the newsgroup soc.culture.esperanto, so when you feel like learning the
approx. 30 affixes you need to get up to speed, you can come chat with us
there!  It's unfair, but that's about all it would take for you --
Esperanto's root vocabulary is easier (or at least has more cognates) for a
Westerner.  Dankon al Dio, it doesn't require learning as large a
vocabulary as in "naturalistic" planlingvoj!  That really is (lau` mi)
completely _unacceptable_ for an IAL in today's world. =20

>I am not going to waste time on some
>things here for people that are only antagonists to Occidental. IF you are
really
>honest about such needs, then join the lists that discuss these things in
depth.
>As I wrote to all on the original 'lingue' list, that list was being
dropped, and
>turned into the 'occidental' list, and that interested folks should rejoin.=
>notice, with very few exceptions, that virtually NONE of the folks on this
list
>have even attempted to join Occidental lists. Why?=20

Well, at least in my case the answer is simple:  I never saw that
announcement.  In fact, a couple months ago I planned to write and ask you
if the list was quiescent or if you had dropped me from the list (as a
possible fifth columnist!), since I hadn't been getting any messages.  (As
it turned out, I didn't write the message, for reasons given below.)

>It would appear because they
>would rather argue against Occidental that learn Occidental, use it, and
find out
>if their arguments against have any real life value or not. Thus, I
respond here
>with that in mind. Folks here aren't interested in learning it, just
putting it
>down, for if they actually took some time to learn it, the whole facade=
 would
>crumble and they would have to admit it actually does work in the real
world. And,
>why give information here that half the time isn't even read, or paid
attention
>to? So, I give what I think from the responses I get, just enough to
satisfy some
>very basic curiosity, and that seems to suit the needs and desires of this
list.
>It's one thing to debate on a debate list about auxlangs, it is another to
teach
>on auxlang what should be taught on a specific list for that kind of
information.

This _is_ the appropriate place for debates showing the strengths and
weaknesses of various IALs.  In fact, such comparisons might be
inappropriate on lists dealing with specific languages, since a flame war
there would certainly be evitenda.  Incidentally, on the idol and interlng
lists I've behaved myself very politely.  My attitude is entirely that I am
there to practice the language.  I even write in the language of the list.
(For those who care, I had to uns*bscribe from both last month when I was
sick and had 50 cubic feet of papers covering my desk.  I also ceased
posting on auxlang.  Did you miss me?)

However, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Bob:  it is not
appropriate for you to post a message here on auxlang making your customary
wildly inflated claims, and then refuse to back them up.  If the forum is
good enough for the claims, it's good enough for the evidence, too.  I've
also begun to notice a pattern to these exchanges:  (1) You make a claim.
(2) Someone disagrees.  (3) You respond (a) with a message which "kuts"
everything that you can't answer and/or (b) that you won't cast pearls
before us auxlang swine, the answer exists but you won't write it here.  I
wish you'd just answer the questions -- who knows, you might even be right!
 But sadly, we'll never know, if you continue this pattern.  (I guess
there's still some hope:  Kjell keeps on posting actual _information_ about
Occidental.  Dankon al li!)

>> What's _boring_ is not the information you post about Occidental, what's
>> _boring_ is having to dig through vast quantities of "hints" to find out
>> what you're actually saying!  And you must have noticed that you=
 routinely
>> "kut", not the boring parts of my posts, but the parts you can't answer.
>
>I kut many of those because I am NOT going to be conned into teaching
Occidental
>on this list. Many of your questions in my mind require me to answer with
>information I am not going to post here.=20

Not posting information is your choice, of course.  But do save the hype
until you're ready to follow up with information. =20

And incidentally, although you apparently continue to doubt my interest in
Occidental, let me repeat that any planlingvo with a user base interests me
greatly, so I'll probably come back and res*bscribe to your new mailing
list one of these days.  I better hurry,  particularly if your glowing
predictions for Occidental's renown spreading throughout the world in the
next couple years come true!  Well, my desk is about half clear, so you may
be hearing more from me soon.

Bonan sukceson al vi!

Ken

  | Ken CAVINESS           Physics at Southern Adventist University |
  | [log in to unmask]             ESPERANTO =3D Lingvo internacia |
  | http://southern.edu/~caviness/     E-o/English/Fran=E7ais/Deutsch |