Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  May 1999, Week 3

AUXLANG May 1999, Week 3

Re: Quel es do li spi'ritu de Occidental!

"Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 16 May 1999 19:57:44 -0700

Je 07:11 ptm5/16/99 -0400, Ken CAVINESS skribis:

>Je 11:55 AM 5/16/99 -0700, Robert J. Petry skribis:
>
>>Ken Caviness wrote:
>>
>>And, the last post I gave on the word formation of Esperanto is just one
>of the
>>complications of Esperanto.=20
>
>Regarding that last post, on the "complications" of Esperanto, I'm still
>hoping that someone with more expertise in Esperanto will comment on that.
>But if not, I'll come back to it and give it my humble best shot.  But as a
>"hint" (which you love, ^cu ne, Bob?) there are many _right_ ways to create
>words in Esperanto.  If you weren't already deceived by a steady diet of
>anti-Esperantist propaganda from K/Cosmo you would know that it's perfectly
>acceptable in Esperanto to combine roots/affixes in new ways, perhaps in
>ways never done before.  So this business of only some of the combinations
>being "corect" is _not_ "corect".  It is fair to say that some of these
>words are used more often than others, but if you put together a word and I
>understand it, we've communicated!  So if you've not yet run across the
>word "estingi" (extinguish), and you decide to put together "ek-mal-bruli"
>(begin to - opposite of - burn), fine!  Kudos to you for your ingenuity!
>The dreaded Vortfarada Polico de Esperanto will _not_ jail you for that.
>That power is your _right_ as a beginning Esperantist!

Are we referring to the posting of Bob's that I quote at the bottom of
this? (*) I obviously missed it when it was originally posted, for reasons
I've given before.

If we accept that "malbruli" (the opposite of to burn) has a meaning, and
that that meaning refers to the state of an object after "estingi" has been
applied, then indeed _every_ form quoted by the individual who wrote this
piece of BS (after he somehow discovered that "bruli" means to "to be
consumed by fire" and not "to cause to be consumed by fire" -- evidently
through the esoteric process of consulting a dictionary) is correct
Esperanto, even if semantic terrain overlaps in some cases. There are no
"incorrect" words listed here, the final conclusion notwithstanding.

Similar totally valid parallel sets of words may be created by considering
the words "dormi" (to be in a state of sleeping, to be asleep) and "veki"
(to awaken, to cause to be in a state of being awake). There are other such
pairs where two words with related terrain were created for convenience'
sake. In no case does the existence of one invalidate a series of
constructed words with identical terrain created from the other. What you
end up with is something known as a "synonym", and, as some of us may
remember from school, the existence of two synonyms does not automatically
mean that one of them should not be allowed to exist.

(Ken, you may have noticed my recent post on the Esperanto beginners' list
for English-speakers on this very topic: trovi =3D malperdi, iri =3D malveni=
,
and the like.)

Long time followers of this forum may remember my anecdote about my own
experience (in China) with the utility of the expression "mallakso" instead
of (the unknown or unremembered) "konstipo".

For those interested, here are the meanings of the words given:

bruli =3D to burn, to be consumed by fire
bruligi =3D to cause to burn
ekbruligi =3D to initiate burning, to set fire (to)
ekbruli =3D to begin burning, to catch fire
estingi =3D to extinguish, to put out (as a fireman, not a cheerleader)
estingig^i =3D to become extinguished, to go out
brulig^i =3D to enter a state of burning, to catch fire (usable
interchangeably with ekbruli, above, though the meanings are slightly
different; cf. the more common pair sidig^i/eksidi)
ekbrulig^i =3D to begin entering a state of burning, to catch fire
malbruli =3D to be in a state of inertness with respect to oxidation
malbruligi =3D to put out (for purposes of this argument, synonymous with
estingi)
malbrulig^i =3D to go out
estingigi =3D to have extinguished, e.g. by ordering a fireman to the scene=
 [1]
malestingigi =3D to have ignited, e.g. by hiring an arsonist
malestingig^i =3D to catch fire
ekmalestingi =3D to put a match to
ekmalestingigi =3D to set the arsonist on his way
ekmalestingig^i =3D to go up with a 'whoof!'

As anyone (with an ounce of sense) can see, every one of these words has a
meaning and is, therefore, legal and usable. I leave most of the matching
up of synonyms as an exercise for the gentle reader. Enjoy.

[1] As has been pointed out before, there is a potential ambiguity here:
are we having someone set the fire, or are we having the fire set by
someone? As Zamenhof replied when this question was raised to him: if the
distinction really worries you, you can plug in an extra -ANT- or -AT- to
make the distinction clear.

Since Bob likes to quote unnamed "experts" who slam Esperanto, let me quote
the conclusion of the chapter by William GILBERT (former member of the
Occidental Senate) on the Occidental word-formation system in his
_Planlingvaj problemoj_ (La Laguna: Stafeto, 1962):

"It is to be concluded that the affixes in Occidental must be used with
great care:

"a) The majority are "unproductive", although the opposite is written in
the grammars: -isar, -ificar, -(i)da, -esse, -(i)ta`, etc., cannot always
be used, when _in practice_ you can't say: PETR/ISAR, MELIOR/IFICAR,
SCR/IDA, BELL/ESSE RICH/ITA`...

"b) Every affix in Occidental gives birth to derived words with a definite
nature: -ache, -ade, -age... form only nouns, -aci, -al, -an, -ari... form
only adjectives, -ar, -ear, -ettar... form only verbs. To the contrary, in
ESPO the suffixes general give birth to nouns, adjectives, verbs or adverbs
at will, thanks to the characteristic endings, on condition that this
correspond -- obviously -- to notions with real meaning: kler/ig/o,
kler/ig/a, kler/ig/i, kler/ig/e; promen/ad/o, promen/ad/a, promen/ad/i,
promen/ad/e.

"c) We find 82 affixes in the tiny 20-page brochure _L'Occidental en cinq
lec,ons_ by R. BERGER, and only 45 in the most complete ESPO courses. A
large part of the suffixes in Occidental have a definition that is very
('treege') vague, poorly limited, or presents a nuance that is too abstract
or subtle for practical use.

"=E6) Some suffixes come after the verb roots (REALISA/BIL 'realizable'), bu=
other come after a special form of the verbs called the 'supine' by the
Latinists: REALISA/T/ION, VIS/ION (realization, vision). On the other hand,
the suffix -bil comes after the supine in some cases: VIS/IBIL (visible).
In vis/ion and vis/ibil, the verb root is vid-. Vider (to see).

"d) There are no affixes in OCC. to indicate several very useful
relationships only because they do not exist in the Romance languages. For
example, "because French, Spanish and italian have no common, generally
used suffix of augmentation, [-issim in OCC forms only adjectives], you can
perhaps speak in OCC. about PLUVI/ETT (ESPO 'pluveto')..., but it is quite
impossible to speak of 'pluvego' and you must satisfy yourself with PLUVIE
BATTANT (which is not the same thing!)... This is why our suffixes -ind and
-ebl are translated by a single -bil, so that I would never be so bold as
to whisper to a young Occidentaliste (should such exist) that she is
AMA/BIL, fearing that she will only understand that I find her
'amebla'...". [From _Lingvo kaj vivo_]

"e) Rigorous use of the affixes according to their official definition,
supposing that their meaning is well understood in every case, often
('oftege') leads in OCC., as we have already seen, to derived words which
in fact cannot be found in the dictionaries and are never used. Inversely,
many derivations are quite incorrect according to the derivational rules of
OCC. itself. It is true that they are supposedly 'international', so
already known by almost all peoples. The author of OCC. was of the opinion
that OCULIST, CONSTRUCTION, POPULARI, VERIFICATION, etc. are widely known.
It is immediately understood that such 'internationality' is very limited.
In fact, OCC. blindly imitates the Romance languages and does not at all
respect its own rules regarding the meaning of affixes. It is a very
interesting and sagacious system for explaining the _etymological_
mechanism of the Western languages. But it would be more honest to
acknowledge that the regularity of the derivation is not a trustworthy aid
in constructing the needed words, that in the end it is necessary to study
a dictionary to acquire certainty about the generally accepted forms. It
would be more honest to acknowledge that for the great majority of peoples
OCC. is much more difficult than ESPO, although it is obviously easier than
national languages."

(pp. 46-48. Numerous examples from which Gilbert draws these conclusions
are given in the preceding 5-1/2 pages.)

---

(*)

Lass nos suposir que yo ha aprendet li radica BRUL- in Esperanto e
que yo prova derivar de ti radica li tot familie de paroles. Armat
per li regules de derivation yo comensa per formar corectmen li
sequent serie de paroles:

bruli(brular), brulig^i(arder), ekbruli(accender),
ekbrulig^i(inflammar se), malbruli(extinter), malgrulig^i(extinter
se).

Ma per hasarde yo incontra ti sam radica in li lexico e constata que
durant que yo tractat li verbe quam _transitiv_, it in realita' have
un sense i'ntransitiv. Ti decovrition totalmen destructe mi bell
serie de derivates e yo hasta corecter it. Quam nov resultate yo
recive li sequent serie:

bruli(arder), bruligi(brular), ekbruligi(accender), ekbruli(inflammar
se), malbruli(extinter se), malbruligi(extinter).

To sembla corect, ma ho ve', mi tribulationes ancor ne es finit. It
monstra se que on ne di _malbruligi_ in Esperanto. On have por ti
notion un special radica, a saver _estingi).

Li corect serie es dunc:

bruli, bruligi, ekbruligi, ekbruli, estingi, estingig^i.

Ma li possibilita's de autonom parolformation per to ancor ne es
exhaustet. Si li situation vell har esset invers, i.e. si yo vell in
prim har aprendet li radica _esting_ e ignorat li radica _brul_, yo
vell tot naturalmen har comensat li serie de derivates per:

estingi, estingig^i, malestingi, malestingig^i, ekmalestingi,
ekmalestingig^i, si yo vell har considerat li verbe estingi quam
transitiv, e per

estingi, estingigi, malestingi, malestingigi, ekmalestingi,
ekmalestingigi, si yo vell har considerat it falsmen quam
intransitiv.

In resuma, li regules de derivation in Esperanto permise teoricmen li
sequent serie de paroles:

bruli, bruligi, ekbruligi, ekbruli, estingi, estingig^i, brulig^i,
ekbrulig^i, malbruli, malbruligi, malbrulig^i, estingigi,
malestingigi, malestingig^i, ekmalestingi, ekmalestingigi,
ekmalestingig^i.

Ex ti 17 teoricmen possibil derivates, solmen li 6 unesimes es
corect; li 10 altres es falsmen format.

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/