AUXLANG May 1999, Week 3

Willy Gilbert's quotes from Don.

"Robert J. Petry" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 May 1999 09:48:39 -0700

"Donald J. HARLOW" wrote:

[kut]

> As anyone (with an ounce of sense) can see, every one of these words has a
> meaning and is, therefore, legal and usable. I leave most of the matching
> up of synonyms as an exercise for the gentle reader. Enjoy.

I did enjoy the explanation. Interesting leeway given for Esperantist beginners,
but none given for Occ. as according to Ken, if we communicate it is ok. Same in
Occ. if you get the message that's fine. Although one doesn't have so many hoops
togo through to say the same in Occ.

Anyway, sorry to reply again to this post, but I find the material from "Gilbert"
to be quite interesting, and am beginning to wonder if they are the same two
people, or not. For, some of his comments appear to be from a person who does not
know Occidental. I would hope you could post more of his comments, preferably the
whole thing for full context etc.

> [kut]
>
> [kut]
>
> "b) Every affix in Occidental gives birth to derived words with a definite
> nature: -ache, -ade, -age... form only nouns, -aci, -al, -an, -ari... form
> only adjectives, -ar, -ear, -ettar... form only verbs. To the contrary, in
> ESPO the suffixes general give birth to nouns, adjectives, verbs or adverbs
> at will, thanks to the characteristic endings, on condition that this
> correspond -- obviously -- to notions with real meaning: kler/ig/o,
> kler/ig/a, kler/ig/i, kler/ig/e; promen/ad/o, promen/ad/a, promen/ad/i,
> promen/ad/e.

None, of course, are found in international word forms it appears, thus requiring
extra memory effort. but, this is not my main question with this second reply on
this post.

> "c) We find 82 affixes in the tiny 20-page brochure _L'Occidental en cinq
> lec,ons_ by R. BERGER, and only 45 in the most complete ESPO courses. A
> large part of the suffixes in Occidental have a definition that is very
> ('treege') vague, poorly limited, or presents a nuance that is too abstract
> or subtle for practical use.

I find this a curious statement. First, Gilbert, an experienced Occidentalist,
would have known how to count the affixes, which we already went over. But, the
second comment "and only 45 in the most complet ESPO courses" seems a bit funny
to me. For instance, in one ESP book I have, the Edinb. Dict. it lists 38.
Conroy's Beginner's Esperanto lists 53, Teach Yourself Esp lists 41, and the
Esperanto-English Dictionary from TY books lists 94 with this comment: "Note:
this list [of affixes] is by NO MEANS EXHAUSTIVE, particularly in the field of
medicine. There are many terms, furthermore, whose analysis is UNCERTAIN in that
they can be regarded either as derivatives, formed by affixation, or as separate
roots -- e.g. [the lists four words.] [Conclusion: my how simple Esperanto is
when you don't know how many affixes there really are and other terms with
uncertain analysis!] Not quoted from an anonymous source period.

> [kut]
>
> "d) There are no affixes in OCC. to indicate several very useful
> relationships only because they do not exist in the Romance languages. For
> example, "because French, Spanish and italian have no common, generally
> used suffix of augmentation, [-issim in OCC forms only adjectives], you can
> perhaps speak in OCC. about PLUVI/ETT (ESPO 'pluveto')..., but it is quite
> impossible to speak of 'pluvego' and you must satisfy yourself with PLUVIE
> BATTANT (which is not the same thing!)... This is why our suffixes -ind and
> -ebl are translated by a single -bil, so that I would never be so bold as
> to whisper to a young Occidentaliste (should such exist) that she is
> AMA/BIL, fearing that she will only understand that I find her
> 'amebla'...". [From _Lingvo kaj vivo_]

It is really this one that peaked my curiosity more than the others so far. If
this was strictly composed by THE William Gilbert, and not someone else using his
name, or ghost writing for him, or whatever, he would have known the above is not
correct. For one, he says, or the one who translated him says, "-issim in Occ
forms only adjectives". This is not a true statement as is born out by Occidental
grammar. Since I don't want to be teaching Occ here, I will at least quote this
much from the Occ grammar: "-issim (accentuat sur li unesim i secun I.C.2),
general adjectivic suffix augmentativ, MA ANC con..... "and then comes the rest
of the explanation. The words I've capitalized are BUT ALSO with ....[and lists
the other category it is used with]  So, it is obvious that whoever wrote the
above, or translated it, does not know Occidental grammar on this point. And, if
you notice, the affix is an "augmentativ" affix, to more than adjectives. and
"indica 'un alt gradu sin comparation'....."

So, because of this I would love to see, or have the whole thing put up here or
sent to me in private if you can. Frankly, this appears to me like someone wrote
some of this from old Esperanto arguments against Occ without really checking
their sources and included it with Gilbert's name, and or ok. Either way, Gilbert
or someone else, it does not accord with actual Occidental grammars, nor with
Gilbert's Occ writings. Strange.

Anyway, sorry to bore everybody with more Occ stuff, but I find this whole thing
fascinating whether anyone else does or not.

Cordialmen,
Bob, x+O~