CONLANG  June 1999, Week 1

CONLANG June 1999, Week 1

Re: mental masturbation

Kristian Jensen <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Jun 1999 08:08:13 +0200

Brian Betty wrote:

>Ok, everyone chill out. I simply made a little joke.

Don't worry, Brian, I understood it as a joke, and I saw nothing
vulgar about it. However, one thing I have learned from this list is
that it is very difficult to make jokes. Some jokes and sarcastic
comments simply don't strike different people the same way. Its a
cultural thing. Beware of jokes in this list.

>Besides, it's true. If a psychologist calls my hobby mental
>masturbation, I want to know what's wrong with masturbation. I had
>no idea I was blowing wind up everyone's skirts.

Yeah, I'd also like to know what was wrong with masturbation if a
psychologist stated that about conlanging. So I did not find your
post "completely off-topic", as some has expressed - on the
contrary. I understand your position entirely.

>Don't worry, I'll never mention SEX again.

SURE! OF COURSE you can - as long as it is ON-TOPIC! Say you want to
discuss sexual terms in languages and our conlangs. Indeed, such a
topic has been discussed on this list before a couple of years ago -
and it was entirely on-topic, and nobody complained. I don't think
anyone should feel shackled for wanting to discuss an issue
regarding the "s" word in our respective conlangs.

As far as maturity and civilness goes (of which I hold this list in
high regard), maturity and civilness comes with being able to look
upon the "s" and "m" word in on-topic discussions seriously (without
having to flinch, snicker, or sulk). Its healthier that way. In
other words, lighten up as the list-owner himself said.

-kristian- 8-)