CONLANG  June 1999, Week 1

CONLANG June 1999, Week 1

Re: My first translation in Moten! Champagne for all!

Sally Caves <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Jun 1999 12:41:55 -0700

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> I think this has come up before - I'd be happy to supply some text
> to someone building an encyclopedia of conlangs, but I'm not going
> to translate bits from the Bible. It just doesn't work, culturally.
>
> Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt

Hmmm.  But the lovely thing about the Babel text is that it is pretty
secular.  Straw, bricks, mortar, a tower, a name for the people, etc.
Ideally suited, it strikes me, for the urban, mural-painting Charyans!
You might have to work in a few Hebrew place names (Shinar, and so
forth), and sure... God does come down and jealously confounds the
work and the language of the humans, but couldn't this role be filled
by one of the Charyan deities?  Or is there no such jealous, controlling
goddess in Charyan culture?  What if your people were handed a text like
this from Genesis?  What would they do with it?  They seem like a
textually oriented, curious bunch.  They certainly don't stint at
chronicling interesting tidbits of Charyan lore and literature!

Sally

Issytra:  "Go for it, I say!"