CONLANG  June 1999, Week 1

CONLANG June 1999, Week 1

Re: My first translation in Moten! Champagne for all!

Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Jun 1999 14:38:10 -0500

Kristian Jensen wrote:
> Perhaps there's some UN mandate we could use instead. But that
> sounds boring to translate.

And also culturally biased.  Let's face it, ANY text will have cultural
bias.  I think that the Tower of Babel story is quite appropriate, since
we're *creating* languages.  Besides, why should the cultural factor
stand in the way?  The Bible has been translated successfully in
countless languages, in cultures very different from the Ancient
Hebrews.
--
"It's bad manners to talk about ropes in the house of a man whose father
was hanged." - Irish proverb