CONLANG  June 1999, Week 1

CONLANG June 1999, Week 1

Re: interlineal text for the web

Boudewijn Rempt <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 Jun 1999 09:00:28 +0200

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, taliesin the storyteller wrote:

> * Jim Grossmann ([log in to unmask]) [990606 02:21]:
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions on a standard format for interlineal text that I
> > can use in e-mail or html?
>
> Fixed-width font in email and <PRE></PRE> in html? Anyway, that's what I do.
> Full control and long live the spacebar! :)

It's what I do, too. (At least, I hope people don't try
to read my carefully spaced interlinear glosses in my
emails with a proportional font). I've been trying to
build an automatic interlinear html table generator,
but the generated html is practically uneditable.

It's a pity though, that I can't use a proportional font
in my html, since most people will use that awful courier
as their non-proportional font in their browser, and my
grammar will look hideous. (I use Lucida and Lucida Typewriter
myself.)

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt