CONLANG  June 1999, Week 1

CONLANG June 1999, Week 1

Re: Deriving adjectives from nouns

Tom Wier <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 Jun 1999 20:29:19 -0500

Jim Grossmann wrote:

> >Tom Wier wrote:
> >Okay, but that doesn't make an adverb + noun, in any
> >language, any more comprehensible, does it? I know I kinda
> >jumped into the middle of things here.
>
> Well, it doesn't make sense to me either as a noun-phrase,
> although I can envision circumstances in which the sequence
> could occur as a sentence.

Well, right, of course.  I thought it was fairly clear we're not
talking about that, though (or maybe I missed something by jumping
in medias res like that?).

> NO-VERB EXISTENTIAL CONSTRUCTION WITH
> SENTENCE ADVERB:
>
> C: Nicely hippo. = Nicely enough, there was/is a hippo.
>
> I know that's not quite what the original "adverb + noun"
> author had in mind, but it's all I could think of offhand.

For some reason, I don't think I could get what you have here
out of "nicely hippo" without some very special circumstance.

Tom Wier <[log in to unmask]>
AIM: Deuterotom ICQ: 4315704
<http://www.angelfire.com/tx/eclectorium/>
"Cogito ergo sum, sed credo ergo ero."