CONLANG  June 1999, Week 1

CONLANG June 1999, Week 1

Re: Idioms (was Website update)

dunn patrick w <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 Jun 1999 22:46:34 -0500

Sally, in discussing Teonaht (incidently, I love that conlang!  I actually
read bits of it to someone at work once and said, "isn't that beautiful?"
He nodded slowly and backed away) mentioned some idioms, particularly the
quirky use of prepositions.

Hatasoe is similar.  For instance, the preposition pazo, meaning "for", is
used to mark indirect objects.  "Duo", "upon", is used with the verbs "to
walk," "to go" and "to drive" even if it's inside a structure.  And felan,
"with", is often sued to indicate possession, particularly when an animate
noun owns another animate noun.  "The man's brother" th