CONLANG  June 1999, Week 2

CONLANG June 1999, Week 2

Re: a traditional Nattiki fable

Sally Caves <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 13 Jun 1999 20:44:10 -0700

Nik Taylor wrote:

> Looks as tho this didn't get much response, in fact, no replies.  I
> rediscovered it while cleaning out my mailbox.

I saw it, too, but your translation has inspired me to try my hand
at it.  The poor pig, such a maligned creature.  By the way, this
was Matt Pearson's class constructed conlang.  So this should be
very interesting.  Here's the Teonaht; Nattiki at the end, with
a few questions I have.

LI KORMA  UOLI    TORYO
The Pig  and the Oaktree

KORMA-LI       NOLMLO       PERIM
Pig-indef.art. HAB.pst. he   exist
A pig        used he (to)    exist
"There was a pig"

PONDRE-NOLM   HAI HSOB TORYO VOLWEN;
stand-pst.HAB rel. under oak  old
stood     who   under oak old
"who stood under an old oaktree;"

SEND POTO IL NYKKONO NOLMLO ENNYVE.
and  all  the acorns HAB-pst.he eat
"and he used to eat all the acorns."

ANEB POTO IL       NYKKONO    NRINOLM      TALO     DIHHAIN,
adv.  all def.obj.art. acorns find.pst.HAB can.pst.he of which
After all the     acorns  find could he    of which
"After he ate all the acorns that he could find,"

NOLMLO     O~ SELYB    EDDIRME.
pst.HAB.he  "of" full  sleep.
did he used to of full sleep.
"he slept fully."

MA TYVOR        DER      ELAI         O~ TEMBRAHT DWEKAMA
but hunger/SUBJ him/OBJ  pst.it/SUBJ  of  timely  awake-make
but hunger      him did it        timelily  awaken
"but hunger woke him up after a time,"  [we switch to simple past
                                         instead of habitual past]

SEND VRODAN      ILID       ETON  ELO     MIP    VONA.
Conj. roots/OBJ gen.obj.art. tree pst.he INCEP. dig.
And  roots       of the     tree  did he  start to dig.
"and he started to dig up the roots of the tree."

`VERA DEF!'   EDDER ELO     EBRA LE TAH
NEG.  imp.do  to-him pst.he say the songbird
Not  do!    to him did he say  the songbird.
"Don't do [that]!" said the songbird to him"

MASSELHAI     AR FYRL CELIL       TORYO,
sit.pst.who on branch in the/OBJ oaktree,
sat who     on etc.
"that sat on a branch in the oaktree,"

UANNER  TY    IL       VRODAN    FY       TAFWYR
causal conj obj.art.  roots/OBJ you/SUB hurt
For    if     the      roots   you hurt
"for if you hurt the roots,"

TA KABUO LI TORYO
causal dies the oaktree
"then the oaktree will die."

TY     LI TORYO ESLO KABUO  TA    DETYNDDESRY            VERA
conj.   subj.   fut.he dies CAUS. fut.chatter-teeth I    not
If     the oaktree he will die then will chatter I with my teeth not
"If the oaktree dies, I won't worry,"

LI KORMA ELO EBRA.
The pig did he say.
"said the pig."

MIMIM    TONON   TALLOPRY       BROTEN NRINA!
collect. acorns  mod.fut.HAB.I  adv.   find.
Some     acorns will be able I always find.
"I can always find some acorns."

O TYSTRA LE TORYO VOLWEN ELO JANE:
Of sudden the oaktree old did he speak:
"Suddenly the old oaktree spoke:"

HA HKORMEN, DOVNAKA FY!
Voc. pig     fool/COMP you!
Oh pig,     fool you!
"Pig, you're a fool."

FYL   EPAN KE HAIN UINSE NERIK
poss. eyes see rel. adv. mud
your eyes see which only mud
"Your eyes, which only see the mud,"

TY TALDWAV WEM UOPAKE      TA   WEMFY     PRE
If can they  might up see then might you know
"if they could look up   then you might know"

RENDDARUOM LI NIKONOWET AROL     MAL BRINENYVOMFY HAIN
grow-HAB   acorns-DIM. on-me     now  over-eat HAB which
grow       the little acorns on me now over-eat you which
"that little acorns are growing on me that you gorge yourself on"

O NWETIS GORMAIHT!
of much/many gluttonous
"so very gluttonously!"

TO HSENNAL EV FYL VYGGEO,
for reason  by  your blindness
"Because of your blindness,"

COMMANCO TO MEHUENREM FY MAL HSOVDEN!
OBJ       adj. phrase you/SUBJ adv. under-do
feast    for  arriving you now underdo.
"you are destroying a future feast!"

Looking at Matt's students' rendition below, where
the pig is telling the bird that he "won't worry if the
tree dies," I notice that the simple future seems
to be used here.  "If the tree will die, my teeth
won't chatter," I've translated in the Teonaht above,
because Teonaht does the same thing with simple conditionals.
T. doesn't have a subjunctive, and a very poorly worked
out conditional.  I notice that Nattiki later has a
word for "could," as in "if your eyes could see..."
in _tetelo_.  Is this different in construction from
_shu wisha_ "will worry" and _shu maka_ "will die"
in the sentence with the simple future?  Teonaht has no such
conditional construction "could."  It has to resort
to a modal, _wem_, meaning "perhaps" or "might" to
express a stronger conditional than that with the
simple future.  You also have _na bish_, "you would."
How did you derive these and not extend the sense to the
first sentence? "If the tree were to die, I would
not worry."  A linguistic conundrum for me:  how is
this semantically different from "If the tree dies,
I won't worry"?  Is it just a matter of using the
subjunctive or the conditional in one case and not
in the other, or is the Nattiki sentence a relex of
English in this one instance?  (Because it is still
a language in formation?)  Teonaht gets itself
into knots over this type of thing.

Sally Caves
http://www.frontiernet.net/~scaves/verbs.html
The Nattiki version: