Help for SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

SCUBA-L Home

SCUBA-L  September 1999, Week 1

SCUBA-L September 1999, Week 1

Protecting Whale Sharks in the Sea of Cortez

James Morris <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Sep 1999 18:33:30 -0700

I just received the following email from Mike McGittigan who is the head

of Seawatch (http://www.seawatch.org):

>From: "Mike McGettigan"
>To: "James Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
>CC: "John Riffe",        "Carlos Eyles",        "Dr. Eugenie
Clark",        "Enric Sala",        "Miguel Sanchez - Navarro Redo"
,        "Gary Duke"
>Subject: Protection of the Whaleshark in the Sea Of Cortez.
>Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 10:13:29 -0700
>
>Dear Jim:
>
>I was just in touch with Miguel Sanchez Navarro
>who has been spearheading the drive to get Whalesharks and Mantas
protected
>in the Sea of Cortez. Sea Watch has sent over 3000 petitions from our
>website and from Dema to the Mexican Government. He says that he is
meeting
>resistance from Pesca. They don't think it's a problem and feel that
>protecting Whalesharks would have a negative effect on the catch of
other
>sharks??
>
>Miguel said that he would like to get more scientific information as to
the
>importance of these sharks and any information about the killing and or

>protecting of Whalesharks in other places in the world. I would think
that
>info showing the economic impact to the local communities from tourism
would
>be important. I saw a short segment on CNN a while back showing the
positive
>effect to tourism in Singapore? Did you see that or know where I can
get a
>copy. Can you use your contacts to help us gather data to support the
>protection of the Whaleshark. It can be sent directly to Miguel at the
above
>E-mail address or to his mailing address below:
>
>Miguel Sanchez Navarro
>Editorial Mexico Desconocido, S.A. de C.V.
>Monte Pelvoux 110 Planta Jardin
>Lomas De Chapultepec
>Mexico, D.F.  C.P. 11000
>
>Also send copies to:
>
>[log in to unmask] and to our mailing address below
>
>Sea Watch
>3939 N. Marine Drive #12
>Portland, OR 97217
>
>Jim, Thanks for your help.

Video from Seawatch will be seen in association with the upcoming "The
Aquanauts" television series(which is about diving and was shot at
various venues around the world)that makes its debut on Discovery's
Animal Planet Channel in a few weeks (on September 27th at 7:30 PM and
then repeating at 2:30 AM the next morning, but check your local
television listing to confirm times):

http://www.discovery.com/sched/domestic/series/91/2225.html

The following is the Web link to shark finning article which appeared in

the August issue of "Discover Diving" magazine:

http://www.westpacfisheries.net/genocide1.html