CONLANG September 1999, Week 3

Re: Charlie and I

"Raymond A. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:15:41 +0100

At 10:32 am -0500 16/9/99, Thomas R. Wier wrote:
>Steg Belsky wrote:
>
>> Here's an interesting linguistic shift taking place in English today,
>> thanks to my linguistics class:
>>
>> People generally say sentences like:
>>
>> "Me and Charlie went to the movies"
>> "Charlie and me went to the movies"
>
>[...]
>
>> "Mom gave cookies to Charlie and I"
>
>Yeah, it's more evidence that what case inflections
>we have in English are slowly dying out. I would think,
>though, that this particular phenomenon is highly conditioned
>by dialect.

Alas, this horrid development was well underway in Brit English 30 years
ago or more. The only thing most contemporary Brits, at least in the south
of the island, would object to in Steg's last sentence is 'Mom' &
'cookies'! They'd see nothing wrong, however, with:
"Mum gave biscuits to Charlie and I"

On even hears, too often I regret, "Mum gave biscuits to Charlie & to I";
and certainly "He gave Charlie & me biscuits" would be 'corrected' to "He
gave Charlie & I biscuits".

Ach y fi!

Nothing to do with cases - "He gave biscuits to I" or "He gave I biscuits"
would immediately be regarded as uneducated, rustic speech & be greeted by
the same speakers with derision. It's simply petit bourgeois
pretensiousness which thinks "X and I" is polite in all contexts, "X and
me" is impolite and "me and X" is downright vulgar.

I'm sorry to learn that democratic and, supposedly, classless America is
also succumbing to this pretensious nonsense.

Ray.