SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

SCUBA-L Home

SCUBA-L  September 1999, Week 4

SCUBA-L September 1999, Week 4

Re: Reverse Profile?

"Reef Fish (Large Nassau Grouper)" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Sep 1999 23:15:37 -0400

At 06:11 PM 9/23/99 -0700, Birdo wrote:
>--- Mike Wallace <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> I agree Bob. Not enough is said nor is stressed enough to do those last few
>> feet slower than a snail's pace. Hell I'm still amazed by the number of
>> people who just blow right by that 15' stop.
>>
>> Mike

Actually divers are getting better about doing safety stops.  What I was
referring to was

>no popping to the surface from 15 ft after a safety stop (a
                           ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

which is easy to forget.   I mean, right after a safety stop, a diver
might say, "okee, I've done it now;  all diving rules followed ..."
and pop to the surface from there in 2 nanoseconds.  Even I've done
that a few times ... but 5 nanoseconds though.  :-)

>2 cents worth here from moi, and I'm sure Strike can add to this.

If you are trying to talk me out of coming to the Cairns Y2K NEDfest,
you've done a pretty good job all by yourself, with the help of your
NASTY Aussie Scuba Cops of course.  ;-)

>For those attending the Cairns Y2K NEDfest, the liveaboard operators in
>Queensland are particularily fussy about those performing reverse profiles
>whether intentionally or accidentally.

And just what medical of scientific basis do they have for acting the
way they do, as if they have some BASIS of knowledge?  Is that clearly
spelled out in the written briefing documents of the liveaboard boats?

>On my most recent trip I accidently (stupidly) pulled a 1.5 meter reverse
>profile on my 2nd dive of the day.

Self-deprecation notwithstanding, can you explain WHY what you pulled
is "stupid"?   I have the sneaky suspicion that you ARE a Scuba Cop
at heart yourself!   I'll try to be REALLY polite (taking lessons of
refinement of human relationship skills from Strike and Sylvia <G>)
and just call these Scuba Cops categorically OFFICIOUS BASTARDS!  :-)

>The Dive Supervisor gave me a well deserved
>"dressing down" for that and I was cautioned. Another passenger pulled a 9
>meter reverse profile and he was banned from diving for 12 hours. Kinda put a
>crimp into his diving plans, but thems the rules.

I would have used the word N*z* to characterize this Dive Supervisor
except for the fact that the N-word may offend some of my friends here.

First of all, isn't there some rule (LAW?) about not doing more than
four (used to be three) dives in one day?  Then there is some "max
depth" rule (like 35 meters?), and now this absolutely ridiculous
and pointless "reverse profile" rule.

There are probably OTHER rules that haven't surfaced yet.  But this
is enough for me!

I had already told Strike privately that my intended trip would start
with a 10-day liveaboard to PNG on the Fabrina (Oct 15-25), followed by
joining him and other NEDs on the Taka II and Spoilsport liveaboards,
and perhaps tag on a week or two to Fiji and other locations at the
end of the NEDfest ...

But thanks to your tips, Birdo, the Caines NEDfest is OFF for da Feesh
(okay Chuck and others can hold your applause and giggling :-)) because
da Feesh ain't diving in any place on earth that has such barbaric rules
(which is bad enough to have them stated to be ignored <G>) but actually
have some Officious Bastards <tm> exercising their ill-targeted authority
based on ill-founded rules applied to certified scuba divers.

>And the last 15 feet....yup...slowly, slowly.

I suppose the "Dive Supervisor" is there with a radar speargun to
catch anyone exceeding the ascend speed limit and write tickets of
hefty fines?   ;-)

>Cheers

A great big Bronx one to y'all!   :-)

>Birdo