Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  November 1999, Week 2

AUXLANG November 1999, Week 2

Re: isolating system project (Charles' replies)

Robin Gaskell <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Nov 1999 10:18:38 +1100

At 19:27 2/11/99 -0800, Charles wrote:

>Robin Gaskell wrote:

>> > (C) Suffixes are even trying to climb back into Glosa ("-pe" etc).

>> >I don't see how else to translate derivative words. In which case,

>> >I prefer something both systematic *and* pragmatic, i.e. Occidental.

>> (R) ... On page 20 of my copy of _Glosa 1000_, 1984, there is a table

>> of: THE 18 GENERIC TERMS. -pe is one of these.  .....

> (C) .....   What I intended was to say

>was that it is difficult or impossible to make a European-based

>(Greek and/or Latin, Romance and/or Germanic, etc) language

>that is truly as analytic and isolating as Chinese; this because

>of the necessity to have some effective derivational system. .....

>>   .....  [Please] elucidate, with examples, some of the ways

>> in which Occidental is "both systematic *and* pragmatic." All you need

>> to give is the two-language versions (Occid. & Eng.)

>That is a fair challenge and might generate some interesting replies.

>I will try in a following post.

*  Thank you: I look forward to reading them.

>> (R) Obviously, people are not flocking to Glosa: this could be a

>> marketting problem; it could be because Glosa is too boringly

>> logical; or, it could be that Glosa is in the "too hard basket."

> (C) Marketing is a problem for all the true auxlangs.

>If Glosa is more logical than others, perhaps it should be

>tried as a computer-interfacing language? Just a thought.

*  The use of Passive Voice is the worrying bit.  Yes, I have tried,

on a number of occasions, to get AI and MT people interested in this

idea, BUT ...  I have no Reseach Funding Dollars to give these

academics, so it comes down to the proposition, "Robin Gaskell should

try Glosa as a computer-interfacing language."  Next life-time,

perhaps.

>> the fact that I have seen no Glosa texts written by subscribers to

>> the Glosalist, does suggest that the language is just too hard to

>> get into ..

>There were several, but the list is more *about* Glosa than *in* it.

>One person with some language background said he picked it up in just

>a matter of hours! You should have emblazoned that, some-virtual-where.

*   The "compleat propagandist" talks about his 'thing' and does it, too.

    Sadly this instant learner of Glosa satisfied his own curiosity,

overcame a challenge, and then moved on ... probably to the next easy challenge.

    The difficult challenge, which the instant learner did not attempt

to deal with, was how to demonstrate the simplicty of learning Glosa

to other, lesser mortals.

>> (R) Then again, Charles could be quite perceptive in sensing that

>> Glosa does not seem to live up to its initial promise. I wonder

>> if the human race >> is ready, yet, for a language with

>> syntax-based grammar ..   .....

>Sometimes we ask too much; sometimes we forget the main purpose.

>Having several auxlangs to choose from, how could anyone *not*

>find one of them suitable? I was picky. Choice is good.

*   Personally, I feel that Clarke and Ashby did ask too much, WHILE concentrating on the main purpose.

    Because Glosa is so stripped down, linguistically speaking, people

feel somewhat naked in their Glosa utterances.  There are no warm

comforting inflections, homey complexities of usage, or stock of

easy-thinking cliches: the communication stands on its own,

unembellished, and somewhat bare.

    I can't shake the notion, that when using Glosa, one is required

to think before speaking or writing.  Some years ago, I was jumped on,

in Conlang, for expressing this idea; but, it hasn't gone away.  This

feeling, about the need to organise thoughts before putting them into language, is one that has come to me from attempting to use Glosa.  I

get the feeling I am ^working at the coalface^ of communication, when

putting my ideas into Glosa, because the language is so "skeletal."

    To most, this need to "pre-linguify" .. or is it, turn their

thoughts into "proto-language" .. is an imposition.  So, for this

reason, Glosa's 'streamlined' design is a disadvantage.

    Looking, however, at the ^brighter side of the coin^, Glosa is

good clean, honest fun.  I hesitate to say that Glosa is good clean, honest language, because such value judgments are not supposed to

be made about language, thus appearing to place one language above others.  My feeling, about such Political Correctness, as applied to Linguistics, is that it is Clearly Rotten Apple Pie.

    So, is there a case for more direct - dare I say, honest - use

of language?  If the world wants a clear, straight Interlanguage,

then I believe that the Glosa pattern offers this .. a little more

work needed, of course.

    However, my recent research into the broader political picture,

screams that there is NO WAY our 'leaders' want the rest of the

human race to inter-communicate, and especially, if this were to be through an honest, no-nonsense spoken/written language medium.

    Thus, as a result of disaffection with the whole

power/communication/media complex, I am liable to stop working at

the altruistic end of the Linguistic spectrum, and go underground

with the struggle for true global communication.

Saluta (as we say in the mists of a mythical Glosalanda),

Robin Gaskell

<underline>

         To: [log in to unmask]

      -OR-   [log in to unmask]

 -For INFO-  [log in to unmask]

WEBPAGE:  www.zeta.org.au/~rgaskell

ARCHIVES:  members.xoom.com/ailanto/glosa/index.htm

BLACKWELLS INTERNET BOOKSHOP:  www.blackwell.co.uk/bookshops/

CASSETTES & DICTIONARY DISK:  [log in to unmask]

       (A$10 each, incl post; to Glosalist Subscribers - free)

AUTHORS: "Plu Glosa Nota", Dictionaries

        P.O. Box 18, Richmond Surry TW9 2AU, U.K.

                 </underline>