Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  November 1999, Week 2

AUXLANG November 1999, Week 2

Re: International? Was: Interlingua - Asian

"Leo J. Moser" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Nov 1999 12:29:35 PST

On         Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:19:53 -0700, Robert J. Petry, C.L. wrote:

> Chris Burd wrote:
>
> > [kut]
>
> > This is an important point, because it means that, if you
> > choose your "other" vocabulary (function words + words without
> > strong international forms) from the Romance language, you'll
> > have something that even a moderately educated Romance
> > speaker will find useful even at first sight, whereas,
> > if you filled out the vocabulary with Germanic or Slavic words,
> > the resulting mix would still accessible only educated Germans
> > or Russians.
> >
> > So the ultra-Romance strategy creates a language that
> > has *some* immediate use, before a large user community
> > has been established. It's a way of getting the
> > ball rolling. That's Martinet's reasoning.
>
> [kut]
> I'm enjoying this thread quite a bit. Here's a thought about word
selection
> that de Wahl explained early on in some very good articles.

Bob, how much of what follows is a quote from
DeWahl?

> Occidental, like ILa is based largely on the Romance language
international forms. However, as everyone knows, there are more words
> in Occ from other languages as a base vocabulary than ILa. Why was this?
>
> The interesting thing to me

Is this Bob or DeWahl talking?
Whoever, I do agree in principle with much of what
is said.

> is his, again to me, simple and to the point reasoning. I never thought of
this till reading his
> explanation. Not only are the "majority" of "international" words
"romance" based, but, and here seems to be where de Wahl diverts
> from some, or all the other IAL's in vocabulary construction. He found
that each language, major Western languages, and some
> others, that were not romance, had also contributed to the "international
word" base. How? By categories. A certain language
> contributed  primarily words for marine and naval topics. Another had
contributed heavily to the "sports" vocabulary, etc. So, he
> chose these words that were not romance because of their "international"
specialized vocabulary. He lists several categories with
> the language for each source. This then, partially explains his use of
words beyond the romance base in Occ.

> Other languages may have also built their vocabularies with this in mind.
But, I have never seen this side of vocabulary building
> discussed. Also, as a further thought, this is where Oriental words would
enter into Occidental's vocabulary. ALL oriental words
> used internationally would be accepted and used in Occ. But, words would
not be used "ad lib" so to speak, just to have a mix of
> Occidental and Oriental material.

I would agree in general (some caveats)

> Finally, Occ is constructed on this premise: It is constructed with
*international* words, not national or regional word.
> International words. Thus, it does not matter what language group the
vocabulary "comes" from. They are "international" or they are
> not. So, in a sense, it is a "misdirection" to discuss whether such and
such an IAL is only for such and such Limited world
> language group. What does 'International" imply? Does it imply only
European speakers talking and writing across their language
> barriers? If so, then that is "limited international" communication. To me
"international" implies "worldwide-international", not a
> communication across two or three languages barriers. Occidental uses
"international" words, words in use with as wide a base as
> possible. This means that even the Oriental who is doing communication
with other parts of the world would/could use Occidental
> because it is "international". Chinese is not "international" in that
sense. We do not find it being used outside the Orient on a
> world scale as we do English, for example. Yet, English is in fact more
limited in its international scope than is Occidental.

> Anyway, just some thots.

Yes, I agree with most of what you say. (Though
I'm sure that the results that I come up with
would be very different than Occ.)

> Think "international" not "national" or "regional" or "language groupings"
and then, it seems to me, a more correct understanding
> and application of what an IAL should be comes clearer. Think, what words
are truly international, not what romance, german,
> Chinese word is being used internationally. For, once a word truly becomes
"international" it is in reality no longer a romance,
> german, french, chinese, etc. word.

This is a good point. And important. Many of the
terms we associate with Wensa are also to be found
in Azerbaijani, Indonesian, and Zulu.

> It may have a lineage back to one of those groups, but it no longer is a
"romance" word.

No more logical IMO than it is to call "group" a
"Germanic" word -- of "banana" a Wolof one.

> It is
> "international", i.e. used by many to most to all other language groups.
And, the closer it is to being used by all the closer it
> is to being the "pure" international language.
>
> If we were to forget about the "labeling" of vocabularies by national
groups, and only sought the real "international" words, then
> we would end up with the "golden ring". Today, in my mind, Occidental
comes the closest for it is built with the premise of using
> "international" words, not with building a vocabulary from selected
languages with no reason at all. International
> words/roots/affixes are the most used, and, that is what Occidental is
based on. It is not limited to ancient Latin and south
> romance languages, or a smattering of this and that from other languages
outside latin and romance. This is why, in spite of some
> people's personal preferences, de Wahl did not leave out the slavic
languages and german and others. It just so happens these words
> are "international" or as close to international as it is possible to get
with the resources he had available to him in his day.
> Today, with computers, etc. we can add a more international vocabulary to
what is missing in Occidental. But, the grammar and
> affixes, etc. are the key to make it work. That should not be changed.
>
> Cordialmen,
> Bob, x+O~

Thanks for your comments

Leo J. Moser