CONLANG  November 1999, Week 3

CONLANG November 1999, Week 3

Conlang Typology Survey Data

Jeffrey Henning <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Nov 1999 14:48:18 -0500

Here are the completed questionnaires for the study.  For people who
submitted more than one language, I only analyzed the first language they
submitted.  I was afraid there might be a bias towards individual
conlangers' preferences if multiple languages were analysed;  for instanc=
e,
almost all my human languages are SVO Pr   NG AN, like Dublex.

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>[log in to unmask]
<PDC TO>[log in to unmask]
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/15/99 05:02
<PDC MESSAGE>

Q. 1
We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlang =
or
profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results.)
Type your answers in the brackets.
   [Dublex] Conlang name
   [Jeffrey Henning] Conlang author
   [Jeffrey Henning] Your name

Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
questions.
Q. 2
   [   ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
   [ X ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
   [  ]   III - verb-final (SOV)

Q. 3
   [  X ]   Pr  - prepositional
   [  ]   Po  - postpositional

Q. 4
   [ X ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
   [   ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun

Q. 5
   [  ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
   [  X ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn

Q. 6
Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will be
shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
   []

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>[log in to unmask]
<PDC TO>[log in to unmask]
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/15/99 05:02
<PDC MESSAGE>

As requested, here goes...

Q. 1
We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlang =
or
profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results.)
Type your answers in the brackets.
   [Wenetaic            ] Conlang name
   [Paul Bennett        ] Conlang author
   [Paul Bennett        ] Your name

Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
questions.
Q. 2
   [   ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
   [   ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
   [ X ]   III - verb-final (SOV)

Q. 3
   [   ]   Pr  - prepositional
   [ X ]   Po  - postpositional

Q. 4
   [ X ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
   [   ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun

Q. 5
   [ X ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
   [   ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn

Q. 6
Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will be
shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
   [It's a tough call on Q3, positionals are infixing, and can be infixed
into S
or O equally easily (or indeed V, if you're feeling funky).  I think the
unmarked order tends to be into O, and the infixation is at (or towards) =
the
end
of the word, so Po it is.  Thanks to the above, the answers to Q4 and Q5 =
are
also fairly vague, as they use infixes which are pretty much syntacticall=
the
same as positionals]

Paul

to whom they are addressed.
sender. This footnote also confirms that this email message
has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>andrew
<PDC TO>[log in to unmask]
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/14/99 02:15
<PDC MESSAGE>Am 11/11 23:43  Jeffrey Henning yscrifef:
> Yes, stats are easy with my Real Life magnum .  If you want to
participate,
> just e-mail this to me.
>
> Q. 1
> We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlan=
or
> profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
> language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
> created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results=
.)
> Type your answers in the brackets.
>    [Brithenig] Conlang name
>    [Andrew Smith] Conlang author
>    [Andrew Smith] Your name
>
> Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
> questions.
> Q. 2
>    [   ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
>    [ x ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
>    [   ]   III - verb-final (SOV)
>
> Q. 3
>    [ x ]   Pr  - prepositional
>    [   ]   Po  - postpositional
>
> Q. 4
>    [ x ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>    [   ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
>
> Q. 5
>    [ x ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
>    [   ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn
>
> Q. 6
> Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will =
be
> shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
>    [A type 9 language, very common.  Brithenig becomes verb-initial in
>    interrogative questions only.]

- andrew.
--
Andrew Smith, Intheologus        [log in to unmask]

            "Death is an evil; the gods have so judged it;
                  had it been good, they would die."
                                        - Sappho of Lesbos.

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>nicole perrin
<PDC TO>[log in to unmask]
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/13/99 14:51
<PDC MESSAGE>> Q. 1
> We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlan=
or
> profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
> language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
> created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results=
.)
> Type your answers in the brackets.
>    [Nevok=E1nyi           ] Conlang name
>    [Nicole Perrin       ] Conlang author
>    [Nicole Perrin       ] Your name
>
> Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
> questions.
> Q. 2
>    [   ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
>    [   ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
>    [ X ]   III - verb-final (SOV)
>
> Q. 3
>    [   ]   Pr  - prepositional
>    [ X ]   Po  - postpositional
>
> Q. 4
>    [ X ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>    [   ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
>
> Q. 5
>    [   ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
>    [ X ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn
>
> Q. 6
> Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will =
be
> shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
>    [Actually, there are no adpositions, but there is an extensive case
system which is made up of suffixes, so I'm calling it postpositional,
ok?]

Nicole

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>Herman Miller
<PDC TO>Jeffrey Henning
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/13/99 00:00
<PDC MESSAGE>On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 23:43:04 -0500, Jeffrey Henning
wrote:

>Q. 1
>We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlang=
 or
>profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
>language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
>created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results.=
)

Well, I'm not sure whether I've done more on Tirelat or Eklektu 2000
recently, so I'll include both. Pick one at random if you don't want to
include both. (Jarrda would probably be a better one to include in the
survey, but I haven't done anything with it recently.)

Here's E2K:

>Type your answers in the brackets.
>   [ E2K (Eklektu 2000)                   ] Conlang name
>   [ Herman Miller                   ] Conlang author
>   [ Herman Miller                   ] Your name
>
>Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
>questions.
>Q. 2
>   [   ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
>   [ X  ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
>   [   ]   III - verb-final (SOV)
>
>Q. 3
>   [ X  ]   Pr  - prepositional
>   [   ]   Po  - postpositional
>
>Q. 4
>   [   ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>   [ X  ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
>
>Q. 5
>   [   ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
>   [ X  ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn
>
>Q. 6
>Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will b=
>shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
>   [ E2K syntax at this point is mainly derived from Mandarin Chinese.
> Some aspects of it may change as I add bits from other languages. ]

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>Doug Ball
<PDC TO>[log in to unmask]
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/12/99 17:43
<PDC MESSAGE> > Q. 1
> We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlan=
or
> profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
> language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
> created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results=
.)
> Type your answers in the brackets.
>    [Skerre          ] Conlang name
>    [Doug Ball       ] Conlang author
>    [Doug Ball       ] Your name
>
> Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
> questions.
> Q. 2
>    [   ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
>    [X ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
>    [   ]   III - verb-final (SOV)
>
> Q. 3
>    [X ]   Pr  - prepositional
>    [   ]   Po  - postpositional
>
> Q. 4
>    [X ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>    [   ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
>
> Q. 5
>    [X ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
>    [   ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn
>
> Q. 6
> Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will =
be
> shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
>    [Proto-Skerre was VSO, hence the VSO reflexes.]

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>Kristian Jensen
<PDC TO>Jeffrey Henning
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/12/99 16:44
<PDC MESSAGE>>
>Yes, stats are easy with my Real Life magnum .  If you want to participa=
te,
>just e-mail this to me.
>
>Q. 1
>We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlang=
 or
>profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
>language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
>created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results.=
)
>Type your answers in the brackets.
>   [Boreanesian         ] Conlang name
>   [Kristian Jensen     ] Conlang author
>   [Kristian Jensen     ] Your name
>
>Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
>questions.
>Q. 2
>   [X  ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
>   [   ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
>   [   ]   III - verb-final (SOV)
>
>Q. 3
>   [   ]   Pr  - prepositional
>   [X  ]   Po  - postpositional
>
>Q. 4
>   [   ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>   [X  ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
>
>Q. 5
>   [X  ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
>   [   ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn
>
>Q. 6
>Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will b=
>shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
>   [Boreanesian used to be a Type 1 language, but I'm currently
    working on making Boreanesian a Type 8 language. As it is right
    now, the GN construction only works for possessives. The NA
    construction can probably be better described as an attributive
    genitive construction since Boreanesian has no adjectives per
    se. Hence, there are two genitive constructions, one for
    possessives (which is GN), and another for attributes (which is
    NG - parallel with NA).]

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>Dennis Paul Himes
<PDC TO>Jeffrey Henning
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/12/99 12:55
<PDC MESSAGE>> Q. 1
> We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlan=
> or profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only t=
he
> language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
> created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results=
.)
> Type your answers in the brackets.
>    [ Gladilatian        ] Conlang name
>    [ Dennis Paul Himes  ] Conlang author
>    [ Dennis Paul Himes  ] Your name
>
> Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
> questions.
> Q. 2
>    [   ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
>    [   ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
>    [   ]   III - verb-final (SOV)
     [ X ]   other - verbless

> Q. 3
>    [ X ]   Pr  - prepositional
>    [   ]   Po  - postpositional
>
> Q. 4
>    [   ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>    [ X ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun

> Q. 5
>    [   ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
>    [ X ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn
>
> Q. 6
> Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will =
be
> shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
>    [ Verbless.
    Not that there's a true genitive, but a prepositional phrase precedes
the noun it modifies.
Syntax is strict in Gladilatian.
      See http://www.connix.com/~dennis/glad/grammar.htm#rules.]

=3D

             Dennis Paul Himes    <>    [log in to unmask]
             homepage: http://www.connix.com/~dennis/dennis.htm
        Gladilatian page: http://www.connix.com/~dennis/glad/lang.htm

Disclaimer: "True, I talk of dreams; which are the children of an idle
brain, begot of nothing but vain fantasy; which is as thin of substance a=
the air."                      - Romeo & Juliet, Act I Scene iv Verse 96-=
99

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>Terrence Donnelly
<PDC TO>[log in to unmask]
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/12/99 10:34
<PDC MESSAGE>>References:  <009601bf2c66$1e63b340$eb5236d4@kljensen>
>Date:         Thu, 11 Nov 1999 23:43:04 -0500
>Sender: Constructed Languages List <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Jeffrey Henning <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
>To: Multiple recipients of list CONLANG <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Kristian Jensen <[log in to unmask]> comunu:
>
>>   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>>   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
>
>While I know what a noun and a genitive is, I don't know what a genitive
>modifier is.  Can someone give me a definition and a couple examples?
>
>>It would be interesting to see what the most common word order type
>>is in our respective conlangs. Anyone up to the challenge of doing
>>the statistics?
>
>Yes, stats are easy with my Real Life magnum .  If you want to participa=
te,
>just e-mail this to me.
>
>Q. 1
>We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlang=
 or
>profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
>language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
>created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results.=
)
>Type your answers in the brackets.
>   [Vogukadane                  ] Conlang name
>   [Terry Donnelly                  ] Conlang author
>   [Terry Donnelly                  ] Your name
>
>Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
>questions.
>Q. 2
>   [ X  ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
>   [   ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
>   [   ]   III - verb-final (SOV)
>
>Q. 3
>   [   ]   Pr  - prepositional
>   [ X  ]   Po  - postpositional
>
>Q. 4
>   [ X  ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>   [   ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
>
>Q. 5
>   [ X  ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
>   [   ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn
>
>Q. 6
>Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will b=
>shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
>   [                       ]
>
>I'll close the balloting in one week.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Jeffrey Henning
>Perseus SurveySolutions for the Web
>Fast, Easy, Professional Web & E-mail Surveys
>Download your free trial today! -- http://www.perseus.com/

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>Irina Rempt-Drijfhout
<PDC TO>Jeffrey Henning
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/12/99 09:53
<PDC MESSAGE>> Q. 1
> We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlan=
or
> profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
> language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
> created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results=
.)
> Type your answers in the brackets.
>    [  Valdyan           ] Conlang name
>    [  Irina Rempt       ] Conlang author
>    [  Irina Rempt       ] Your name
>
> Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
> questions.                        ^^^

> Q. 2
>    [   ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
>    [   ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
>    [ X ]   III - verb-final (SOV)
>
> Q. 3
>    [  ]   Pr  - prepositional
>    [  ]   Po  - postpositional
     [ X ]   Both

> Q. 4
>    [   ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>    [   ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
>
> Q. 5
>    [   ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
>    [   ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn
>
> Q. 6
> Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will =
be
> shared with the list when the stats are reported.)

>    [Valdyan still has both prepositions and postpositions, but is in
transition from prepositional to postpositional.]

                     [log in to unmask] (myself)
       http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/index.html (English)
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/backpage.html (Nederlands)

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>FFlores
<PDC TO>[log in to unmask]
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>RE: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/12/99 20:15
<PDC MESSAGE>Jeffrey Henning <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Yes, stats are easy with my Real Life magnum .  If you want to
participate,
> just e-mail this to me.

OK, I'm sending it privately, though I'd already sent it
(with some remarks) to the list.

> Q. 1
>    [ Drasel=E9q           ] Conlang name
>    [ Pablo David Flores ] Conlang author
>    [ Pablo David Flores ] Your name
>
> Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
> questions.
> Q. 2
>    [ X ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
>    [   ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
>    [   ]   III - verb-final (SOV)
>
> Q. 3
>    [ X ]   Pr  - prepositional
>    [   ]   Po  - postpositional
>
> Q. 4
>    [   ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>    [ X ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
>
> Q. 5
>    [   ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
>    [ X ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn
>
> Q. 6
> Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will =
be
> shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
>    [ The VSO word order is not used for perception verbs; there's a
tendency
       to keep the old OVS order for many experiencer-subject verbs,
including
       all the verbs of perception. ]

--Pablo Flores
  http://draseleq.conlang.org/pablo-david/

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>Grandsire, C.A.
<PDC TO>Jeffrey Henning
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/12/99 08:57
<PDC MESSAGE>Jeffrey Henning wrote:

> Yes, stats are easy with my Real Life magnum .  If you want to
participate,
> just e-mail this to me.
>
> Q. 1
> We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlan=
or
> profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
> language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
> created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results=
.)

   I'll give you my results for three of my conlangs if you don't mind.
They have all three completely different typologies so that it won't
bias the typology, and they are all interesting for their particular
typology.

> Type your answers in the brackets.
>    [        Moten         ] Conlang name
>    [ Christophe Grandsire ] Conlang author
>    [ Christophe Grandsire ] Your name
>
> Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
> questions.
> Q. 2
>    [   ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
>    [   ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
>    [ X ]   III - verb-final (SOV)
>
> Q. 3
>    [  ]   Pr  - prepositional
>    [  ]   Po  - postpositional
>    [ X ]  Both
> Q. 4
>    [   ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>    [ X ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
>
> Q. 5
>    [ X ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
>    [   ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn
>
> Q. 6
> Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will =
be
> shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
>    [ Here are the comments for each question:

Q.2:
   All the verbs (except two auxiliaries) are conjugated by means of
auxilairies that are put after a noun-like form of the verb. This
periphrastic conjugation is not unlike Basque.

Q.3:
   Moten has three cases rendered by way of infixes and suffixes together=
,
seven prefixes (and two suffixes used only with verbs) with a
prepositional, casual or conjunctional meaning, and a lot of
postpositions which are in fact declined nouns completed by a genitive
noun (like "at the outside of" to mean "out of").

Q.5:
   Like in Basque, the noun and its adjectives (or juxtaposed nouns, we
can't make any difference) are considered a single entity, so that only
the last word is declined. In that way, adjectives usually follow the
noun. ]

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>Carlos Thompson
<PDC TO>Jeffrey Henning
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>RE:      Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/12/99 07:13
<PDC MESSAGE>> Yes, stats are easy with my Real Life magnum .  If you wan=
participate,
> just e-mail this to me.
>
> Q. 1
> We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlan=
or
> profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
> language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
> created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results=
.)
> Type your answers in the brackets.
>    [fonno chleweye     ] Conlang name
>    [Chlewey Thompin    ] Conlang author
>    [Carlos Thompson     ] Your name (who is the same thant the conlang
author

> Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
> questions.
> Q. 2
>    [   ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
>    [   ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
>    [ X ]   III - verb-final (SOV)
>
> Q. 3
>    [   ]   Pr  - prepositional
>    [  ]   Po  - postpositional
    [  ] Both
    [ X ] Neither

> Q. 4
>    [   ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>    [   ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
     [ X ] Don't know

> Q. 5
>    [ X ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
>    [   ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn
>
> Q. 6
> Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will =
be

> shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
>    [Q. 4 * I don't understand the question either.  NNV could mean eith=
er
SSV, SOV or OSV defined by context, mostly
isolating with aspect inflection some verbs inflect after "indirect" obje=
ct.
The most common order pattern is (context)-topic-modifier]

> I'll close the balloting in one week.
>
> Best regards,

-- Carlos Th

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>Boudewijn Rempt
<PDC TO>Jeffrey Henning
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/12/99 06:12
<PDC MESSAGE>On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Jeffrey Henning wrote:

> Kristian Jensen <[log in to unmask]> comunu:
>
> >   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
> >   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
>
> While I know what a noun and a genitive is, I don't know what a genitiv=
> modifier is.  Can someone give me a definition and a couple examples?
>
> >It would be interesting to see what the most common word order type
> >is in our respective conlangs. Anyone up to the challenge of doing
> >the statistics?
>
> Yes, stats are easy with my Real Life magnum .  If you want to
participate,
> just e-mail this to me.
>
> Q. 1
> We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlan=
or
> profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
> language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
> created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results=
.)
> Type your answers in the brackets.
>    [Denden                    ] Conlang name
>    [Boudewijn Rempt                    ] Conlang author
>    [Boudewijn Rempt                    ] Your name
>
> Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
> questions.
> Q. 2
>    [   ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
>    [   ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
>    [ X  ]   III - verb-final (SOV)
>
> Q. 3
>    [   ]   Pr  - prepositional
>    [ X  ]   Po  - postpositional
>
> Q. 4
>    [ X  ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>    [   ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
>
> Q. 5
>    [   ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
>    [ X  ]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn
>
> Q. 6
> Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will =
be
> shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
>    [  Denden has some variation between SVO and SOV -
        it seems that southern dialects (on which I have
        done most research) prefer SOV. Adpositions ditto.
     ]

> I'll close the balloting in one week.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jeffrey Henning
> Perseus SurveySolutions for the Web
> Fast, Easy, Professional Web & E-mail Surveys
> Download your free trial today! -- http://www.perseus.com/

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://denden.conlang.org/~bsarempt

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>Charles
<PDC TO>Jeffrey Henning
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/12/99 02:32
<PDC MESSAGE>[off list]

Jeffrey Henning wrote:

> While I know what a noun and a genitive is, I don't know what a genitiv=
> modifier is.  Can someone give me a definition and a couple examples?

Just a plain genitive, "John's language", unless I'm wrong somehow.

--
As they say in Tepa: hike waipettu.

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>Barry Garcia
<PDC TO>[log in to unmask]
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/12/99 03:03
<PDC MESSAGE>[log in to unmask] writes:
Q. 1
We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlang =
or
profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results.)
Type your answers in the brackets.
   [ Tilon Nevo] Conlang name
   [ Barry Garcia ] Conlang author
   [ Barry Garcia] Your name

Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
questions.
Q. 2
   [   ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
   [ X ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
   [   ]   III - verb-final (SOV)

Q. 3
   [ X]   Pr  - prepositional
   [   ]   Po  - postpositional

Q. 4
   [ X]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
   [   ]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun

Q. 5
   [   ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
   [ X]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn

Q. 6
Enter any comments or notes here, as much text as you want. (They will be
shared with the list when the stats are reported.)
   [ Not too sure what this question means, but I assume it's asking abou=
comments about our languages? (If i am wrong, you can delete this). Tilon
Nevo is similar to English in many respects. Mostly because it is a
personal language, and not for any special culture (all of my concultures
are South East Asian). There isn't anything too special about it, a few
things I thought were interesting, but nothing remarkably exotic.]

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

'The beginning calls for courage; the end demands care'

<PDC NEWMAIL>
<PDC FROM>Thomas R. Wier
<PDC TO>Multiple recipients of list CONLANG
<PDC CC>
<PDC SUBJECT>     Re: Conlang Typology Survey [was Word-Order Types]
<PDC DATE>11/13/99 12:19
<PDC MESSAGE>Jeffrey Henning wrote:

> >It would be interesting to see what the most common word order type
> >is in our respective conlangs. Anyone up to the challenge of doing
> >the statistics?
>
> Yes, stats are easy with my Real Life magnum .  If you want to
participate,
> just e-mail this to me.
>
> Q. 1
> We are doing a typology of conlangs.  You can profile a favorite conlan=
or
> profile your own, but if you profile your own, please profile only the
> language you are currently working on most.  (Otherwise, if someone has
> created 10 languages with the same typology, they will bias the results=
.)
> Type your answers in the brackets.
>    [Degaspregos ] Conlang name
>    [Thomas Wier] Conlang author
>    [Thomas Wier] Your name
>
> Put an X between the brackets for one choice for each of the following
> questions.
> Q. 2
>    [   ]   I   - verb-initial (VSO)
>    [   ]   II  - verb-medial (SVO)
>    [X]   III - verb-final (SOV)
>
> Q. 3
>    [X]   Pr  - prepositional
>    [   ]   Po  - postpositional
>
> Q. 4
>    [   ]   NG  - head noun before a genitive modifier
>    [X]   GN  - genitive modifier before a head noun
>
> Q. 5
>    [   ]   NA  - noun before an attributive adjective
>    [X]   AN  - attributive adjective before a houn

6.
[
(Technically, this is supposed to break Greenbergian
Universals, but it's what's happened in most IE languages,
so it fits Deg. well)]

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Tom Wier <[log in to unmask]>
ICQ#: 4315704   AIM: Deuterotom
Website: <http://www.angelfire.com/tx/eclectorium/>
"Cogito ergo sum, sed credo ergo ero."

Non cuicumque datum est habere nasum.
It is not given to just anyone to have a nose.
        -- Martial
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D