AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

Monospaced Font

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  November 1999, Week 5

AUXLANG November 1999, Week 5

Re: Eurocentricity?

"Robert J. Petry, C.L." <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:47:22 -0700

"Rex F. May" wrote:

> The most offputting thing about Occidental for me is its
> non-phonemic alphabet. There are natlangs with phonemic
> alphabets. It seems absurd for an auxlang not to. And as
> for natural appearance, it seems to me that Spanish is less
> natural-looking, in that it resembles French and Italian less
> than Occidental. I suppose there's a point at which
> something would look too unnatural to suit me, but Eo
> always looked natural enough.

I don't see your reasoning. You appear to be presenting a "personal
preference" which, if so, has nothing at all to do with whether a
language works or does not with the most people possible. It's not a
question of personal preference, it's what works. And, someone else
might tell you their personal preference is different. Personal
preferences don't build a language that will be accepted by a large
majority of people. Only those few, if any, that have the same
preference, or haven't thought of a better one yet.

If you don't like Occidental, don't use it. I don't see any arm
twisting. However, if I could just get ahold of you for about 10
minutes, and work on a few trigger points, I might be able to get you to
say "uncle". ;-)))

The point is, are you using what you like, I am. So far, I am
communicating with English, German, Tchec., Swedish, Spanish, Estonian,
and other speakers, IN Occidental. Who are you communicating with in
your favorite? It isn't what you personally prefer, it is "are you
communicating" with what you prefer.

Cordialmen,
Bob, x+O~