CONLANG  December 1999, Week 2

CONLANG December 1999, Week 2

Re: Noli and who?

"Grandsire, C.A." <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:17:00 +0100

abrigon wrote:

> Who is the Noli by chance? We in the US and like have Piglatin, but it
> is just English modified, how is Notya different from the main lingo of
> the Noli?
>
> Mike

        Well, this should go to Conculture I think but I'm not on it for the
moment and I'm not sure Abrigon is on it also. So I'll try to be short.
As far as I know, I invented the Noli, but in fact I'm not so sure :) .
They are people from any country in the world whose only common quality
is the mastering of No, a kind of mystic energy, not far from the Force
of the Jedi, but found only in living things, not sustaining the whole
universe. Of course, you can master No without becoming a Noli, but to
become a Noli you have to have the ability to master No and be recruited
by a Noli. As well as the mastering of No, the teacher will also learn
to the student Notya, the comon language of the Noli which functions de
facto as a secret language for this diaspora. The Noli can come from
anywhere in the world, and this language serves as a link between all
them (mastering No gives also telepathic abilities, but the Noli have a
lot of respect for private life, so they won't use it except with
agreement of the other person(s)). In fact, nobody knows really where
Notya comes from, even the oldest Noli. Its structure is so far from
common natlangs that there is a discussion among the Noli about whether
this language is a conlang, a natlang or an engineered natlang like
Classical Latin. Its use as a secret language seems to have frozen its
evolution and Notya has nearly not changed in the last 5 centuries
(except for the evolution of the lexicon).

        And now how do I know that? Well, I'm not a Noli, but maybe I
inconsciously master a bit of No :) .

--
        Christophe Grandsire

        Philips Research Laboratories --  Building WB 145
        Prof. Holstlaan 4
        5656 AA Eindhoven
        The Netherlands

        Phone:  +31-40-27-45006