Help for SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

SCUBA-L Home

SCUBA-L  December 1999, Week 2

SCUBA-L December 1999, Week 2

Re: Cozumel diving (was Re: (no subject))

Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 12 Dec 1999 16:53:28 -0500

> Lee, you are too easy to please!  Except for the good company of the NEDs

If it were not for the company of the NEDs, there's a good chance that Coz
would not have been my first choice.  On the other hand, it's very hard to
chose.  I've had some wonderful dives in the Bahamas.  Around Andros sticks
in my mind.  Then there were the lobster and conch collection dives (free
diving only in the Bahamas) done with island friends in Bimini which led to
a fabulous dinner party with new friends.  Each of the Caymans also had
their special moments, again with special friends, both new and old.  My
point, apparently, not well made, was that my opinion on dives always
includes the total experience, the trip, the accomodations, the sites, the
weather and, perhaps the most important factor, those I share them with.
That thought led to the very special trip we all shared in Coz.  Thanks to
you and the NED group, this trip is on the top of my list of favorites (and
Jayna's) and probably will be until the next time we get together in another
diving legend (or legend to be)..

> I've seen MUCH better vis, better variety of critters on the same sites
> led by DMs who know the terrain MUCH better than those on our dives.  A
> case in point was the Las Palmas site.  We didn't see any of the lobster
> clusters, turtles, eels, or many of the regular residents there because
> the DM didn't know the site at all.   The same was true about Palancar
> Bricks and a few of the other sites we dived, especially the Maracaibo.
:-)

I stop noticing visibility at something around 75 - 100 feet.  Our primary
interest is on the small stuff close to the reefs, sand, etc.  We tend to
pay attention to the immediate area rather than the greater whole and, as a
reward, often see what others miss.  On the other hand, there's no telling
how many pelagics, rays, etc. we've missed whle visiting with a single long
nosed butterfly (which happens to be one of my favorite fish) of a field of
garden eels.  The 1999 Nedfest was our first trip to the island.  Each time
we saw something we had not seen before, it was special.  Perhaps, we didn't
see the "best" the island has to offer, but there's always next time.  After
all, if we'd seen it all, there would be little reason to return.  We see
clusters of lobster all the time. I understand lobster sightings are special
for many, but to us, they have little significance . . . unless we are
collecting a few for dinner.  We saw, and photographed our share of turtles,
eels and even the shy splendid toadfish.  While we see an occasional octupus
pretty much everywhere we dive, I can't think of any place where we saw as
many on one dive as we did in Coz.  Jayna will remember the friendly grouper
at Pasa del Cedral for a long, long time.  The DM's were OK for us.  We tend
to enjoy the thrill of discovery more than being led.  There are obvious
exceptions, Devil's Throat being a good example.  What made the diving the
best that it was differences from what we do most of the time.   What made
the trip the best was the people we met there.

> I think you've been hooked on Coz as I had been after my first trip there
> Christmas of 1987!

I suspect you are right.

> Mika Doelle, Sue and I will be spending this Christmas
> there, and the Crusty gang will be joining us between Christmas and Y2K.

As much as I'd love to, it's certain that we won't be there for Christmas.
We serve breakfast to anywhere from 20 to 30 people each Christmas morning.
It's a tradition that we and our friends who don't have children at home
have grown to look forward to.  As you know, we still have not met Sue.  We
have something to look forward to that will guarantee that sooner or later,
we'll be in the same place at the same time again.  Unfortunately, it's not
likely to be over the holidays this year.

> >The actual sites were very nice, maybe even
> >the best I've seen.  What made it special was the group I dove with.
Since
> >all of the group is represented on this list (all were either members of
> >this list or accompanied those who were), you know who you are.  The
quality
> >of a dive is ALWAYS effected by those you share it with, before, during
and
> >after.
>
> True.  Except for the higher probability of port closing on account of the
> Norte (wind from the North), I expect much better quality dives on this
> mini-Christmas-NEDfest.

I wish you luck with the weather.  It's hard to imagine "much better" diving
than we had, but not hard to imagine different, also special diving.

> If not for the fact that we already have a full 6-pak, I would have said
> come on down and join us.  You could motor your own boat down there and
> follow our dive boat!  :-)  On the other hand, if you and Jayna can make
> it there on Christmas Eve day, then we can have a 5-pak boat (with Mika)
> for three days.

It's sure that we can't make it for Christmas Eve and unlikely that we'll
make it over the holidays at all.  On the other hand, you never know.  As
for motoring, that will have to wait for my retirement.  It's a long, long
way around the tip of Florida, around the Gulf of Mexico and down to Coz.
If I left now, we'd be lucky to be there by Christmas.  Still, I'll be there
in spirit.  On of the things that will be keeping me busy over the holidays
is repairs to the big boat.  It developed a leak in the fuel tank which had
to be removed.  The new one is on order and will have to be installed before
the aft cabin can be rebuilt.  The tanks was under it.  You'd have to see it
to appreciate how hard the tank was to get out and how completely I had to
destroy the aft cabin to get to it.

Lee