On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Raymond Brown wrote:

> Possibly - I get the impression that the _Latin_ Christianity west of Libya
> had largely disappeared before the Crusades (did they move on up into
> Spain?).

Well, the history of those days is mightily confused, what with Vandal,
Goths and what-not - Arian heritics, too. I have always thought those
invasions had laid waste the African provinces even before the invasion
of Justinian into Italy. But that's only from Lest Darkness Fall, I can't
remember whether Gibbon said anything about it.

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://denden.conlang.org