On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:00:03 -0500, John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

<...>
>In English it's Ithaca, Latin style.  In some translations of Classical
>Greek works you may find "Ithaka", "Sophokles", "Theokritos", but
>in general prose "Ithaca", "Sophocles", "Theocritus" are normal.

In Russian it's rather Latin-style, too (to the degree allowed for by the
transliteration rules): Itaka. I suspect that in some very old editions
one may also come across Ifaka (with theta=fita for /f/).

I thought that _th_ and _t_ sounding the same in French, "Ithacan" (or what
is the correct adjective?) might be what "Itakian" reverberated for
Christophe ;).

But I don't remember if I've ever seen this name in French.

Ithaque?

And what's the adjective? Ithacien? Ithakien?

Basilius,
Puzzled by the question: what's the right adjective in Russian ? :)