> Date:         Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:03:23 +0100
> From: BP Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>

> Early Medieval Scandinavian was sometimes V1 in consecutive sentences,
> especially in legal texts -- "Drepr maðr mann blah blah blah" --, but that
> seems to have died out even in Icelandic.  Probably it arose from sentences
> beginning with a temporal adverb.

Actually, there's an if-then construction in Danish that is similar,
but I don't know if it's a carryover from this mediaeval usage.

Instead of saying 'Hvis S1 V1 [O1 ...], [så] V2 S2 [O2 ...]' you can
just say 'V1 S1 [O1 ...], [så] V2 S2 [O2 ...].' This is somewhat
marked, and suitable for dramatic pronouncements, sports journalism
and song texts. Examples:

        Blir hun her, så går jeg!               If she stays, I leave!

        Scorer de nu, er de i finalen!
                                If they score now, they're in the final!

        Glemmer du, så husker jeg det ord for ord... [very romantic song]
                        If you forget, I'll remember word for word...

        Er du en trold får du børn med en heks. [nursery rhyme]
                If you're a troll you'll have children with a witch.

Don't you have that in Swedish?

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)