At 10:44 pm +0000 23/1/00, And Rosta wrote:
>Ray:
>> Of course in English we have:
>> Pauline /pO'li:n/ - a feminine version of 'Paul' (we also have 'Paula')
>>
>> 'Pauline' /'pOlajn/ [adjective] - of or pertaining to the Apostle Paul.
>
>You mean /'pO:lajn/?

Yes.

[....]

>_Raymondian_ is the regular form. [log in to unmask] _-ian_ suffixes to most
>proper names. I take your point that we don't normally form adjectives
>from first names, but this is a semantic rather than morphological
>restriction.

Maybe - but 'Sharonian', 'Keithian', 'Jasonian', 'Traceyian', 'Colinian',
'Janian' /'Janeian', 'Michaelian' etc etc don't exactly role off the tongue
& I wonder how readily they'd be understood.

> _Raimundine_ might also be possible, and I guess if you
>projected it back althistorically to Classical Latin it would yield English
>_Remundine_.

Not sure what a Classical writer would've made of the old Germanic form of
my name - Raemundus, Ra:mundus?

[snip]

>As for me, would the following be a valid irregular declension?
>
>Nom. Andus
>Voc. Ande
>Gen. Andrevis

Not very likely, methinks.  Of course, the actual Latin for 'Andrew' is:
Andreas - 1st decl. apart from the Greek nominative.

>& if so, would the adjective stem be _andrevin-_, based on the genitive,
>giving English _Andrevine_ /'&ndr@vaIn/?

'Andrevine' or 'Andrevian' could be formed from the English 'Andrew' on the
analogy of 'Shavian' <--- 'Shaw'.

While we have forms like 'Petrine', 'Johannine' and 'Pauline', there is no
*Andreine or *Andrean AFAIK.

But wouldn't 'Andian' be OK?

Ray.

A mind which thinks at its own expense