At 03:58 PM 2/18/00 +0000, Sebastian wrote:
>Patrice Bonhomme writes:
>
> > And what about TEI in XML?
>
>I think the politically correct view is that the TEI is in neither
>SGML nor XML, but in a higher-level form from which SGML and XML can be
>extracted equally well. Thats the "pizza" view, anyway. I know its not
>necessarily ideal, but it does the job, doesn't it? You do actually
>get the XML DTD you need?

I agree with this, and personally (speaking as a TEI user, and not even one
affiliated with any TEI-sponsoring institution) would add that in the age
now a-borning of Everyone-Gets-Their-Own-Schema, the TEI user will be well
advised to take a "loose" approach, noting that the TEI has always provided
for extensibility, and not placing too great stress on the mechanisms or
tools (schemas, formats, SGML vs. XML, stylesheets, scripts etc. etc.) used
on any particular "TEI text" at any particular moment.

In this view, the major advantage of sticking close to normative, "Green
Book" TEI is that you avoid much of the overhead of documenting your
extensions and creating any apparatus necessary to make your own pseudo-TEI
validate against P4. This can be a considerable advantage. But those
projects that need extensions should certainly follow that course, as
always; and it might well behoove them to take the XML route and work from
an XML schema.

> > Is someone working on an XML Schema for TEI?

If by this you mean a W3C Schema (now still in draft), then I dunno.
Anyone? If an XML DTD would do, there is a TEI Lite XML DTD floating
around, and there's always the roll-your-own option.

Should we be more concerned about the spirit (scholarly soundness,
completeness of documentation, cross-platform and -application portability)
or the letter (P3 or P4) of TEI? What will it mean to be "TEI", anyway?
Should the TEI be one master document model, or perhaps rather several
interoperable models (schema components) that will continue to serve as
starting points? Will W3C XML Schema give a better framework than those
redoubtable SGML parameter entities for disciplining such a beast? Will it
meet the other requirements the TEI addresses (and what are they)?

I've been thinking about this a while, so I welcome the chance to ask in
public. I definitely believe there is a future for TEI; but the strategy
has to be sound, realistic and consistent or the most valuable aspects of
TEI will be lost in the free-for-all (at least until they are rediscovered).

-- Wendell Piez