On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, andrew wrote:

> Am 02/26 01:34  Patrick Dunn yscrifef:
>
> > ak ptak i kik u tama-at
> > I take refuge in the teaching.
> >
> I found myself pronouncing "tama-at" as /tama?at/ which would introduce
> a seventh consonant.  Two options come to mind: either vowel length
> (tama-at pronounced /tama:t/); or consonant insertion (*tama-k-at).

I have inserted vowel length, actually.

> No tense markers?

In the present tense they're optional.  Actually, they're always optional.

> > Which could also mean:
> >
> > I give refuge in (the name of) the Buddha.
> > I give refuge through the teaching.
> > I give refuge to the community.
> >
> > Or
> >
> > I take freedom from the Buddha.
> > I take freedom from the teachings.
> > I give freedom to the community.
> >
> How about 'away from the speaker/to the speaker' markers for clarity?

There are.  "um" is away from the speaker and "ul" is toward the speaker.
But they, too, are optional.  Sometimes ambiguity is a desirable thing.

> > Mmmmm.  I've got a warm happy feeling.  ;)
> >

> - andrew.
> --
> Andrew Smith, Intheologus                       [log in to unmask]
>
>                        Resistance is irrelevant.
>                                       - The Borg
>
>                It is not irrelevant, it's a hippotamus.
>                                       - Flanders and Swann

                Living your life is a task so difficult,
                it has never been attempted before.