> From: taliesin the storyteller
>
> "And Rosta" <[log in to unmask]>
> Bcc:
> Subject: Re: Stress and syllables
>
> * Fredrik Ekman ([log in to unmask]) [000222 14:17]:
> > David Bell wrote:
> >
> > > While the "patterns" seem to make sense to me, I, unfortunately, have
> > > no understanding of the theory behind them.  I guess I'll have to
> > > study more phonology.
>
> I assume the framework And was using sorts under Autosegmental Theory,
> and any Phonology 101 class or book worth its name should at least
> describe that briefly and give pointers to more... we were treated to
> it already in the preliminary introduction to language and linguistics
> which everyone wanting to study any variant of linguistics -and/or- any
> language have to survive :)
>
> Hmm.. And? Maybe we should work together on a brief tutorial or
> something? Or maybe I can convince my phonology-prof to scribble
> something down...

From my perspective, this would be fantastic.  I have never been able to get
my conlang juices flowing when it comes to phonology.  I'm basically a
syntax/semantics fanatic.  But at the same time, I recognize that there are
more elements to the language mosaic than syntax and semantics and I really
need to give as much care to the other layers.  I have tried to read
phonology texts, but have always found them slow going.  When given a choice
between reading Ladefoged and Comrie, the latter always seems to win.  A
joint tutorial by you and And might be just the nudge I need to explore this
area of linguistic more seriously.  Well, And, what about it?

David

David E. Bell
The Gray Wizard
www.graywizard.net

en aran urren vorneth;
edhain ernordharel an engdarian orui minthille
en balan alanion ennonnar ascalennen ordhmarrion,
en cam alanion orimronniar na taurriar.
carilen alanion les geth, sarcil alanion galen deth
itair geceleb and meth na brand veth,
eni galen elennion tengelar ordirdhirar alanion,
an ithil entagon minthille o an anor encelmon.