At 12:43 pm -0500 23/2/00, John Cowan wrote:
>Christophe Grandsire wrote:
>> NOTE: How do you call the different kinds of teeth in English and other
>> nat- and conlangs? In French, we have "incisives", "canines", "prémolaires"
>> and "molaires".
>For once, no surprises, no problems:  "incisors", "canines", "premolars", and
>"molars".   The term "bicuspids" ("having two points") is also used instead of
>"premolars", mostly by dentists.  Note that "canine" is /'k&najn/ in the U.K.
>but /'kejnajn/ in the U.S.

I've only ever heard /'kejnajn/ in the UK - that's certainly the way it was
pronounced when I was at school in Suusex in the 1950s.  I've never heard
it said any other way in the last half century.

Maybe dentists say /'k&najn/ just like they pronounce 'premolar' as
/baj'kVspId/   :)


A mind which thinks at its own expense
will always interfere with language.
                   [J.G. Hamann 1760]