John Cowan wrote:

+AD4-FFlores wrote:
+AD4-
+AD4APg- I think Kristian may be right here, John, since his
+AD4APg- description looks more like what I described (the
+AD4APg- sound is really made with the teeth and the blade
+AD4APg- of the tongue -- there's contact with the alveola
+AD4APg- and the palatal ridge, but no sound produced +ACo-there+ACo-.
+AD4-
+AD4-I realize that.  The official IPA chart at http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/fullchart.html uses
+AD4-the term +ACI-alveolo-palatal+ACI- for curly-tail-c and curly-tail-z,
+AD4-which are definitely articulated as you describe:
+AD4-
+AD4APg- Maybe you missed the important part of the description,
+AD4APg- that the tip of the tongue touches the +ACo-lower+ACo- teeth
+AD4APg- while the upper teeth press the blade.
+AD4-
+AD4-No, that is characteristic of these sounds.  Actually,
+AD4-alveolo-laminar would be a better descriptive name IMHO.

I must agree with John here, whether the tongue touches the
lower teeth or not is irrelevant. AFAI-can-tell laminal
sounds in the alveolar region would always have the tongue
touching the lower teeth.

+AD4APg- Anyway, thanks to you both -- now I know two different
+AD4APg- sounds instead of one+ACE-
+AD4-
+AD4-I think more likely two different names.

No, I think more likely two different sounds. I have seen
palatograms of what the IPA chart calls +ACI-alveolo-palatal+ACI-
and the palatograms do not indicate that the blade touches
the upper teeth. Pablo described the sound as having laminal
tongue-contact with the upper teeth. Palatograms labeled
denti-alveolar (or lamino-dental) do just that.

-kristian- 8)