Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The native script makes no distinction between capital and lower-case,
> but when writing in the Roman alphabet, I tend to use a modified version
> of our conventions.
>
> 1.  Beginnings of sentences are capitalized
> 2.  First letter of ROOT of proper names are capitalized
>     Rule 2 means that the gender prefix is not capitalized, e.g.,
>     tiDikŠu, the Goddess.
>     Thus, when a proper name starts a sentence, it is written as TiDikŠu

    This is similar to the convention for the Roman transliteration of
Gladilatian, whose native writing also has no equivalent distinction.  Names
are capitalized with the exceptions of conjunctions and prepositions.  Since
prepositions are prefixes, this results in some internal capitalization.
E.g. "sa Mrenep we hreLaxreot Lelemle", given name "Mrenep", birth family
"Laxreot", joined family "Lelemleot"  "Ot" is a suffix which (in this case)
changes the name of a family member to the name of the family as a whole.
"Sa...we" is a conjunction, meaning, roughly, "which is the same as". "Hre"
is a preposition which means "from".  So "sa Mrenep we hreLaxreot Lelemle"
is literally, "Mrenep, who is a Lelemle from Laxre."  The beginning of
sentences are also always capitalized in Roman transliteration.

             Dennis Paul Himes    <>    [log in to unmask]
             homepage: http://www.connix.com/~dennis/dennis.htm
        Gladilatian page: http://www.connix.com/~dennis/glad/lang.htm

Disclaimer: "True, I talk of dreams; which are the children of an idle
brain, begot of nothing but vain fantasy; which is as thin of substance as
the air."                      - Romeo & Juliet, Act I Scene iv Verse 96-99