Maryland has created a DNR system for EMS which functions quite well for
adults and for children. We have had a number of children go home with the
program in place, and thus far I am unaware of complaints.
The system relies on limited choices (there are basically 2 options), two
ways of identifying patients (armband or paper document in prominent
location), and intensive efforts at education.
The folks at MIEMSS have developed the program and have all of the
information. You might want to contact Cyndy Wright-Johnson, who is the
EMS-C person there. She can be reached at (410) 706-1758.

Allen R. Walker, MD
Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Johns Hopkins