From: [log in to unmask]
Full-name: Dtrocin
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:13:39 EST
Subject: Re: sedation
To: [log in to unmask]

We completed a pilot study last year that was presented as a poster at ACEP
in October.  We used a combination of single bolus ketamine (0.5 mg/kg) and
propofol (1 mg/kg) with excellent sedation lasting a median time to first
purposeful response 10 min (range 7 to 18) and median time to discharge 38
min (range 30 - 59).  None of the kids had the reduction maneuver as the most
painful aspect of the ED visit and only 3 had memory of the cast molding or
any manipulation.  We had 3 minimal desats all responsive to basic airway
maneuvers and no dysphoric reactions in any kids up to age 16.  All in all
the entire ED attending staff and the orthopods loved the regimen.  Still
working on the manuscript and a follow on comparative study.

Annals  OCT 99 part 2, 34:4, S89 -  abstract 350

Doug Trocinski
San Diego Childrens